The Lincolnshire Family History Society has provided a marriage index for the Isle of Axholme Deanery to make your search easier.
There was a Wesleyan chapel built here in 1815 and a New Connection Methodist chapel built in 1855. The Primitive Methodists had a chapel here, too, before 1900. For information on these chapels check our Non-Conformist Church Records page.
This village and parish lies 8 miles north-west of Gainsborough in the Isle of Axholme. Wroot parish and Nottinghamshire are just to the west, with Epworth parish to the north. The parish covers about 8,550 acres and includes the hamlets of Burnham, Upperthorpe, Nethergate, Newbigg, and Park.
If you are planning a visit:
The village of Haxey is bisected by the B1396 as it travels west from the A161 trunk road.
Haxey is the ancient capital of the Isle of Axholme.
In 1741, the major part of the village was destroyed by a fire.
In the mid to late 1800's, Haxey had a station on the Great Northern Railway.
The King's Arms Public House on Low street has been a good spot to catch up on local news for a number of decades. In 1882, Wm. GRANT was the Victualler. In 1913, Lawrence G. LOWTHORPE was the proprietor.
The Carpenter's Arms Public House in Westwoodside has been the historic starting point for "The Hood" (see below). In 1913, Thomas ADCOCK was the proprietor.
The name Haxey is from the Old Scandinavian Hakr+eg, meaning "island of Hakr." In the 1086 Domesday Book it is rendered as Acheseia. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
Bastardy cases would be heard in the Epworth petty session hearings every other Thursday.
In 1723, Jane FARMERY built almshouses for seven poor women of the parish. The Midsummer charity was established to give £8 yearly toward the maintenance of the houses.
According to Anne Cole, "the only Settlement Certificate documents for Haxey are a list of people who came (into the parish) by certificate in the back of an Overseers' Account Book. The earliest is 1699."
About 3,341 acres of common land was enlosed here in 1795.