Heapham is both a small parish and a small village about 4 miles east of Gainsborough and 10 miles south of Scunthorpe. The parish itself is bordered on the north by Springthorpe parish, on the east by Harpswell parish, to the west and south by Upton cum Kexby parish. The parish covers about 1,250 acres.
Heapham village is on a small rise, near the source of a rivulet. If you are planning a visit:
Take the A631 trunk road east out of Gainsborough and at Corringham turn south. Drive through the village of Springthorpe and the village of Heapham will be about a half mile further south.
The name Heapham comes from the Old English heope+ham or heopa+hamm for "homestead where rose-hips or brambles grow". The name appears in the 1086 Domesday Book as Iopeham. A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.
White's 1842 Directory lists the following names in the parish: Wm. FOSTER, John HERRING, Jonathan HUTCHINSON, Thomas ISAAC, Francis KETTON, Wm. LAMBERT, Samuel PLATT, Geo. PROCTOR, Thos. SCOTT, Joshua STEVENSON, John STORY, Rev. James STOVIN and Benjamin WILLEY.
White's 1872 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: ANYAN, BARRATT, BARTHORP, BURTON, CAMMACK, HIRD, HUTCHINSON, MILBURN, PLATT, PLUMPTON, SILLS, STOREY, STEPHENSON, VON STURMER, WEBSTER and WILLEY.
Kelly's 1900 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: BARTHORPE, BAXTER, GRAY, HEWITT, JOHNSON, LIDGETT, MAJOR, ROBERTS, SCOTHERNE, SPLAYSFORD, STEPHENSON and TAYLOR.
Kelly's 1913 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: ARRAND, BURBRIDGE, BUTTERICK, EDWARDSON, GOURLEY, GRAY, HEWITT, HIRD, JOHNSON, LIDGETT, MAJOR, MILLBOURN, PICKWELL, SCOTHORNE, SLEIGHT, SPLAYFORD, THOMPSON, THROOP, TILL and WHITEHORSE.