The Anglican church is dedicated to Saint Hibbald from the 7th century who is said to be buried here.
Sources differ on the spelling of the saint's name. Some list it as Hybbald, some as Hybald, and some as Hilbald. Because there was no standard for spelling in those ancient times, you may take your pick.
The date of origin is unknown and likely Norman, but the original tower collapsed in July, 1875, and its arch has since been rebuilt.
The church seats 200.
There is a photograph of St. Hibbald's Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site, taken by Paul Fenwick.
Here is a photo of St. Hibbald's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1814. In 1841, the Primitive Methodists built their chapel. The United (or Free) Methodists built a chapel to seat 250 people in 1865. This is still an active Methodist chapel in the parish. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
Hibaldstow is both a village and a parish in the north of Lincolnshire, just west of the River Ancholme. A small stream runs from the village to the River Ancholme. The parish lies 163 miles north of London, 19 miles north of the City of Lincoln and 3.5 miles south-west of Brigg. Scawby parish lies to the north, Redbourne parish to the south and Manton parish to the west. The parish covers just over 4,400 acres of low cars (see our Geographic Names page) or marshes.
Parish boundaries have changed over the last two centuries. Go here to find the West Lindsey ward (modern parish) boundaries.
The village of Hibaldstow is about a mile east of the old Roman road, Ermine Street, now the A15 trunk road. If you are planning a visit:
Take the A15 trunk road north out of Lincoln. Alternatively, take the B1207 south off of the M180 Motorway between Brigg and Scunthorpe.
Stop by the Village Hall on Station Street to see what events are planned during your visit.
Hilbaldstow was founded in the seventh century, the earliest mention being in a grant of 664 when it is spelt Hibaldstow (also now the modern spelling).
About a mile west of the village, just off Ermine Street, is evidence of an early settlement, perhaps Roman.
The Roman's left evidence of iron smelting at Hibaldstow. See: Martin J. DEARNE & Keith BRANIGAN, "The use of coal in Roman Britain," Antiquaries Journal, vol 75, 1995, pp71-105.
Two miles south-west of the village church are traces of the village once known as Gainsthorpe. The adjacent farm still bears that name. It is believed to been a Roman fort originally because the west wall of 400 yards is still distinct. Roman coins and pavement stones have been found near the spot.
In 1866, during the rebuilding of the church chancel, a Saxon-era sarcophagus was found, containing the skeleton of a powerfully built man. It is presumed to be that of Saint Hibald.
The Blue Lias Lime and Cement works, owned by H. PARRY & Sons, employed a large number of local men in the late 1800's and early 1900's.
The North Lincolnshire Library holds a copy of "The Story of a Parish - A Short History of Hibaldstow", (compiled by Mary INSULL), 1958.
The origin of the parish name is Old English Hygebald+stow, for "holy place where St. Hygebald is buried". It appeared in the 1086 Domesday Book as Hiboldestou. Variations in the spelling abound, even within a single document. Some writers have suggested that the name was originally Hubba, a Danish commander or leader. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
The Venerable Bede in his 'Ecclesiastical History' describes St Hygbald as a most holy and continent man who was an abbot in Lindsey, Lincolnshire. One theory which links St Hygbald with Hibaldstow is that in the year 669 St Chad received the Diocese of Mercia and began to preach in Lindsey, setting up a mission station at or near Cadney. It is thought that Hygbald was a pupil of Chad and that he may well have imitated his teacher and set up his own mission station at Hibaldstow. St Hygbald's links with the village were further re- enforced when during the rebuilding of the parish church in 1866 a stone coffin was unearthed. It contained the bones of a tall and powerful man and it was said at the time that they might well have been the mortal remains of St Hygbald. More information can be found in: Eminson, T.B.F. "Place and River Names of the West Riding of Lindsey, Lincolnshire".