The library has a book recording the monumental inscriptions within the Church (complete with a bit of genealogical/historical information) and also the Churchyard. There are also monumental inscriptions for Holbeach Cemetary.
There is also a small but interesting local history section. [John Bland]
The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
The church was constructed in the early part of the 14th century.
The church underwent an extensive repair in 1879 through 1882.
The church seats over 640.
There is a photograph of All Saints Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
Here is a photograph of All Saints Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
Holbeach Hurn is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in April, 1870, which is 3 miles northeast of the town of Holbeach. The Anglican church, erected in 1869 of red brick, is dedicated to Saint Luke.
St. Luke's Church can seat 180.
There is a photograph of Saint Luke's Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
Here is a photograph of St. Luke's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
Holbeach Marsh is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in April, 1869, which is 8 miles north-east of the town of Holbeach and the northernmost part of the civil parish. The Anglican church, erected in 1869, is dedicated to Saint Mark. It is built of red brick.
St. Mark's Church can seat about 188.
The church was declared redundant by the Diocese of Lincoln in February, 2002.
There is a photograph of Saint Mark's Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
Here is a photograph of St. Mark's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
Holbeach Marsh also had a Chapel of Ease, St. Matthew's, about 8 miles north-east of Holdbeach village. The chapel was erected in 1869 of red brick. Divine services were held on Sunday afternoons by the vicar of St. Mark's.
St. Matthew's Church can seat about 110.
There is a photograph of Saint Matthew's Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
Here is a photograph of St. Matthew's Church, hidden by the trees, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
Holbeach Drove was in the ecclesiastical parish of St. John's (below). A small mission church was built here.
Holbeach Fen was graced in 1840 with the construction of St. John's Anglican church.
St. John's Church can seat about 200.
Here is a photograph of St. John's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
Here is a photograph of the undedicated church in Holbeach Drove, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
There are a handful of parish register entries on the Parish Register text file.
The Congregationalists built a chapel here in 1870, as did the Baptists in 1879. There were also chapels for the Wesleyan Methodists, Primitive Methodists and United Methodists by 1900. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
Holbeach is both a village and parish 105 miles north of London, and 17 miles south of Boston. The River Welland and The Wash form the northern border of the parish and the Whaplode River part of the western boundary. The parish is large in area, over twenty miles long, with a long, narrow tail running south to the border of Cambridgeshire, covering 21,595 acres and incorporates the hamlets of Holbeach Drove, Holbeach St. John's, Holbeach St. Matthew, Holbeach St. Marks, Holbeach Hurn, Holbeach Clough, Penny Hill and a part of Saracens Head. Whaplode parish is neighbor to the west and Fleet parish to the east. The area is very marshy, drained by many small canals and the South Holland Main Drain.
The A17 trunk road runs through the parish and just north of the village of Holbeach. If you are planning a visit:
Check out the This is Holbeach site for places to stay, food and drink, history, etc..
In Holbeach, on the road to Spalding, is a millstone marking the Prime Meridian.
By automobile, take the A151 trunk road east out of Spalding towards King's Lynn for about 8 miles. It passes just north of the town centre.
The ancient name of the parish is sometimes given as oldbeche or "Old Beach", but modern scholars site a different origin. The name Holbeach is from the Old English hol+bece, or "Hollow stream". In the 1086 Domesday book, the village name is given as Holebech. ["A Dictionary of English Place-Names," A. D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1991]
John Bland tells us (2004) that the locals pronounce the name as "Ol beech".
Bastardy cases would be heard in the Elloe (Spalding) petty session hearings.
All Saints Hospital was founded in 1351 by John de KIRTON to tend to the poor. It was taken down in 1700 and the Chequers Inn occupied the site.
Several charities and annuities existed to assist the poor. A workhouse was built sometime in the 18th century on three acres called Workhouse Land, but all paupers were moved to the new union (below) in 1836.
Holbeach Free School (also "Holbeach Grammar School") was founded in 1669 by George FARMER. The school was originally located in the chancel of All Saint's Church. The school was closed in 1811, then in 1814 it moved to a new building and reopened.
St. Mark's National School was erected in 1870.
St. Matthew's National School was erected in 1885.