This village and parish lies 111 miles north of London and just over 5 miles north of Grantham. Barkston parish is just to the south, with Ancaster parish to the east and Carlton Scroop to the north. The parish covers about 1,480 acres.
The village of Honington is just east of the A607 trunk road at the point where the A153 trunk road splits off and heads east to Sleaford. If you are planning a visit:
Be aware that there is a Honington in Warwickshire, Suffolk, and Norfolk as well. Make sure that you've got the right one!
Bus service is provided by two companies: Carberry and UKBus. Check our Transport page for more information.
There is an Iron Age Hill Fort site at Honington, covering about 1 and 1/3 acres, open Saturdays in good weather for pre-booked tours. Normally, the public does not have access to the interior, but a footpath runs around the eastern edge of the fort, giving some idea of its size and scope. The site was also occupied by the Romans and in 1691 an urn, filled with Roman coins, was unearthed at the site. Subsequently, many other artifacts have been uncovered, including spears, bridle-bits and swords.
Limestone was quarried here in the late 19th century by the Stanton Iron Works Co. Limited.
The Great Northern Railway had a station here at the junction of the Grantham, Sleaford, Boston, Lincoln, and Honington branches.
A new rail line from Lincoln to Honington was opened in April 1967. The railway provided a shortcut between the east coast mainline and Lincoln. The line is no longer in use.
Honington Hall was the seat of the APREECE family until purchased in 1851 by Miss Mary Elizabeth Trafford SOUTHWELL. Miss SOUTHWELL had virtually every house in the parish rebuilt and improved, including rebuilding the Hall in 1861 and 1862.
The Hall was torn down and demolished in the 1940s.
The name Honington is from the Old English Hund+ing+ton, for "estate of a man named Hund". In the 1086 Domesday Book it first appears as Hundintone. ["A Dictionary of English Place-Names," A. D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1991]
This place was an ancient parish in Lincolnshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
The parish was in the ancient Loveden Wapentake in the South Kesteven district in the parts of Kesteven.
In Kelly's 1900 Directory of Lincolnshire, the parish is reported to be in the Winnibriggs & Threo Wapentake. NOTE: The parish was in the W&T Wapentake until some time in the 1830s, then was reassigned to the Loveden Wapentake.