Horsington is both a village and a parish. The parish lies about five miles west of Horncastle. The parish itself is bounded on the north by Wispington parish, to the west by Bucknall, on the south by Stixwould and on the east by Woodhall. One arm of the parish slips under Bucknall and ends at the River Witham on the south-west. The parish is in the western edge of The Wolds and covers about 1,900 acres.
The parish includes the ancient village of Horsington and a number of scattered farms in the area. The village is about 3 and 1/2 miles east of the River Witham. If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, it is probably easiest to take the B1190 west out of Horncastle.
Watch for The SIGN!. Here it is photographed by Mike FOWLES in April, 2006.
Stop by the Village Hall and ask about their scheduled events.
P C Coaches provides bus service trom Cheery WIllingham to Horncastle, passing thru the parish. See the transport page for more information.
The name derives from the Old English Horsa+ing+tun, meaning "estate or farm belonging to Horsa". It appears in the 1086 Domesday Book as Horsintone. A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.
White's 1872 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: ABLEWHITE, BELTON, BROWN, CHAFOX, CHAPMAN, CLIFTON, COX, CROFT, CUMMINS, DEANE, DUCKERING, ELMITT, ELVIN, FREEMAN, GRAYSON, GREEN, JACKSON, KEELEY, MAJOR, PRIESTLEY, ROBERTS, SCOTT, SHARP, SKINN, STOTHARD, TIMSON, WALTER and WHALER.
Kelley's 1913 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: ABLEWHITE, BATES, BLADES, BROWN, CHAPMAN, CLIFTON, COOK, CROFT, CUMMINS, FOWLER, GOODYEAR, GREEN, HILL, MOORE, NEWTON, PINCHBECK, POUCHER, ROOK, SCOTT, SIDEBOTTOM, SIMPSON, TINKER, WALTER and WRIGHT.