An Abbey of Benedictine monks was founded here in the reign of Henry II, dedicated to Saints Mary and Peter, but no traces of it now exist above ground. I have an unconfirmed report that foundation stones for the abbey were recently exposed by digging next to the church.
The present Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter.
Copies of the parish registers are held at the North Lincolnshire Library and cover baptisms 1748 - 1938, burials 1748 - 1943, and marriages 1748 - 1965.
The Bishop's Transcripts date from 1561.
The LFHS has published several indexes for the Haverstoe Deanery to make your search easier.
The Wesleyan Methodists built a small chapel here in 1835. A larger, replacement chapel was built in 1907. For information and assistance in researching this chapel, see our non-conformist religions page.
Roger GILBERTSON has a photograph of the Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2007.
Humberstone is both a village and parish south-west of Grimsby. Clee parish borders to the north, Waltham parish to the west, and North Summercoates parish is to the south. The North Sea provides the remaining eastern boundery. The area is about 2,360 acres, but used to be much larger.
Humberston (as it is now spelled) is a large village just south of Cleethorpes, only two miles from the coast, off of the A1031 trunk road along the coast. If you are planning a visit:
This is where the Danes landed early in the year 870 to begin their scourge and plunder of Lincolnshire.
One of the first Wireless Stations was built here in 1910.
Humberstone is home to the "Humberston Fitties", one of the few surviving plotland developments in the country, dating from World War One. These chalets are open for tours on Sundays during pleasant weather. Sheila Coy has some background information on the Fitties.
Steve FAREHAM has a photograph of the Greenwich Meridian on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2009.
J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Grosvenor pub on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2013.
After World War One, a booklet was published in Humberstone which gave a short biography on the soldiers who returned alive from combat. I do not have the title, but check local area libraries to see if they have a copy (Thank you, Fiona Poulton).
Haile Sand Fort stands near the Humberston Fitties. Bull Sand Fort stands a little further out. Both were built in 1915 of concrete, standing on sandbanks. Bull Fort is the larger of the two. They were taken out of service in 1956 and are now likely in private ownership. There is a photo of the two forts at Pictures of England.
Humberston served as a "Chain Home Low" radar site during World War II.
The Canadian Navy had a frigatte (K 497) in World War II named the HMCS Humberstone. Launched on 12th April, 1944, it served until 17 Nov 1945. The webpage author has been told that it is named after the township of Humberstone in Ontario, which fits with a number of townships that carry Lincolnshire names.
Richard CROFT has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2006.
Humberstone (more recently spelled Humberston) is from the Old English Humbre+stone for "the boundary stone in the River Humber". In the 1086 Domesday Book, it is rendered in its original form as Humbrestone. [A. D. MILLS, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
There is a Humberstone parish in Leicestershire, a township with this name in Welland county, Ontario, Canada, and a town with this name in the country of Chile.
One famous name associated with the parish is Matthew HUMBERSTONE, Esq., who died in 1709. He is said to be a foundling from Homerton, near London, who became wealthy, purchased the estate at Humberstone and altered his name to that of the village. At his death, he left £1,000 to rebuild the parish church and additional money to build a Free Grammar School and Almshouse. Unfortunately, disputes over the will postponed the building of the school and almshouse until the year 1821.
Bastardy caseswould be heard in the Grimsby petty session hearings every other Tuesday.
Matthew HUMBERSTONE's bequest to build an almshouse finally was realised about 1821 when six almshouses were purchased for the poor men and women of the parish. At least one of those was still in use in 1891.
The first school here was the Humberstone Free Grammar School, erected in 1821 along with a house for the schoolmaster. School was made free to all the male children of Humberstone, Laceby, Clee, Cleethorpes, Weelsby, Tetney, Scartho and Holton-le-Clay. A limit of 100 free scholars was set for the institution, and Humberstone parish lads were given a preference for enrollment. This school was closed in 1874 and an Elementary School built in the parish in 1879 and a higher grade school built in Clee.
In 1841, a Girl's School was built in Humberstone. Today, parish children attend one of three schools here.