This village and parish is 5 miles east of Alford, 14 miles south-east of Louth and about 13 miles north-east of Spilsby. The parish borders the North Sea, while the village lies over a mile inland. Anderby and Mumby parishes lie to the south and Sutton on Sea to the north. The parish occupies about 3,500 acres of land.
The village sits on a low hill overlooking the surrounding salt marshes. If you are planning a visit:
The A52 trunk road passes through the heart of the village as it makes it way north to Mablethorpe.
Visit the Radcliffe Donkey Sanctuary at Bridge House Farm on Alford Road.
Birdwatching is also popular in the area.
Huttoft Bank Pit is protected by the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust.
Camping is available at nearby: Cherry Tree Site, Cherry Tree Cottage, Huttoft Rd, Sutton, Lincolnshire, LN12 2RU.
Its ancient name was High Toft. The name Huttoft is a combination of Old English hoe and Old Scandinavian toft, or "homestead on a spur of land". In the 1086 Domesday book, the village is given as Hotot. Many other spelling variations exist, including Huttorp and Huttefte. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
Bastardy cases would be heard in the Alford petty session hearings on alternate Tuesdays.
An undated charity of the interest on £360, left by W. ROBINSON, was distrubuted between the four most needy poor men of the parish. Their qualification was that they had brought up the most children without parochial relief.