This parish was comprised of the two townships of North Killingholme and South Killingholme. It was on the south side of the Humber River, almost due south from Kingston Upon Hull. Eight and a half miles to the north-west is Barton upon Humber and down the coast is Grimsby. The parish to the northwest is East Halton. To the south lies Habrough parish. The parish covered about 9,300 acres.
Killingholme ecclesiastical parish is comprised of two civil parishes of North Killingholme and South Killingholme. In addition to the two townships already mentioned, the hamlet of Rye Hill, near Ulceby parish, was also within this parish.
North Killingholme township lies about two miles inland of the Humber. South Killingholme township is a mile south of that. Both townships extend to the bank of the Humber and are best reached by taking the A160 trunk road off of the A180 (M180) trunk road between Brigg and Grimsby. If you are planning a visit:
Bird Watching is still popular in the area. Check the Recent Sightings for news of what to look for.
Railway tours, offered in the area, are an interesting way to see some of the landscape and learn its history. See our Transport page.
The Cross Keys public house in South Killingholme displays a little local history and privides a place for travelers to eat and drink.
David WRIGHT has a photograph of The Cross Keys on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2009.
Steve FAREHAM has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2013.
Lincoln Cathedral holds charters from the 13th century (1245) which refer to a Walter de Kylingholm buying up land rights throughout the village.
North Killingholme was a train station on the New Holland and Immingham Dock branch of the Great Central Railway.
South Killingholme was the site of three lighthouses. Two of these were erected in 1836 and the third in January, 1852.
Both townships were largely crop-growing farms in the 18th and 19th centuries. Wheat, barley, turnips, oats and beans were the primary crops. Bricks and tiles were also manufactured from the native clay near the banks of the Humber. The Killingholme Haven (Clay) pits at TA 1619 are now a Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust.
Both townships saw large population growths in the 20th century with the industrialisation of the Grimsby port area, the building of oil refineries and the installation of the Oil Terminal built on the Humber banks.
The PS Killingholme was a double-ended paddle steamer built in 1912 by the Earle's Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd. for the Great Central Railway Co. and London North Eastern Railway Co. Immediately after delivery she was used for the official opening of the King George V Dock at Immingham by the King and Queen Mary. She was primarily a Humber ferry. She did excursion work, too. In 1935 she carried 44,000 passengers on excursions from Hull to Grimsby.
South Killingholme holds a family gala each July with children's rides, side shows and barbecues. The South Killinghole Horticultural Society also holds an annual horticultural show with displays of plants, knitting and embroidery, as well as culinary classes.
The Manor House was reportedly built in the reign of Henry VII and was occupied in 1871 by Charles BYRON, Esq. It was once a moated Manor, and was surrounded by some of the most ancient Yew trees in the kingdom, over seven centuries old. In 1911, the Manor was occupied as a farmhouse by George MILSON. Going back to the 15th century, the Lord of the Manor of Killingholme and other notable citizens, are described as being of 'the Middle Soyle of Killingholme'. 'Middle Soyle' in this case translates as 'Muddy Soil', which describes the low, tidal areas of the parish.
Killingholme Manor was the seat of Richard WIGFALL in 1900.
NAS Killingholme aerodrome was established in July, 1914, on the Humber Estuary. It was the first aerodrome in Lincolnshire.
The Naval Air Service (NAS) passed control of Killingholme station to the US Navy in July, 1918. The US NAvy left in January, 1919.
During WWI, aircraft were used for maritime patrols and Zeppelin intervention. Most of the aircraft were "float" planes, so a paddle steamer was converted to a seaplane carrier and renamed "HMS Killingholme." At times, NAS Killingholme had as many as 100 aircraft and 900 servicemen assigned. Strong tides in the area made seaplane operation difficult here and post-war operations were moved to other facilities.
The airfield was closed in October, 1919.
A new airfield for the RAF was opened as "RAF North Killingholme" in November 1943 and assigned to Bomber Command.
In January, 1944, the 550 RAF Squadron started flying missions from the new North Killingholme airfield.
The airfield was closed in October, 1945.
Much of the airfield is now used for commercial purposes. David WRIGHT has a photograph of the Volvo Storage Compound on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2007.
Nigel THOMPSON has a photograph of the old airfield on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2013.
The name Killingholme is a combination of two Old English words and an Old Scandinavian ending, Ceolwulf+inga+holme meaning "island homestead of Ceolwulf". In the Domesday Book of 1086, the name appears as Chelvingeholm. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
The first school was built in North Killingholme in 1857. In 1903, the two civil parishes formed a united school district. At that time, North Killingholme had a public elementary school attended by about 120 students.
See our Schools page for more information on researching school records.