The tombstones in the churchyard have been moved from their original locations. Some were placed around the edge of the graveyard, and some were built into the footpath and their engravings are being worn away.
We have a handful of entries in our parish register extract, and would be pleased if you would submsit some additions.
There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel built in 1820, a Primitive Methodist chapel built in 1859 and another at Skeldyke built in 1842. There was also a Congregationalist chapel built in 1821. Check our Non-Conformist Church Records page for additional resources.
This village and parish are 103 miles north of London and just over 4 miles southwest of Boston on the Spalding Road, partly bordering on "The Wash". Frampton parish lies to the north. Kirton Holme, Kirton End, Kirton Mears, Seadyke, Simon Weir and Skeldyke are hamlets within the parish.
In some ancient sources, the name is rendered as Kirktown. The name means "village with a church." It appears as Chirchetune in the 1086 Domesday Book. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
Locals pronounce the name as "Keeuhn" (with the stress on the first syllable). [Simon Meeds, 2001]
A Free School was established here in 1624 by Sir Thomas MIDDLECOTT. But in 1841, only 11 students attended the school. The original school building was replaced before 1900, at which time 65 boys attended.
A Board School was built in Kirton Holme in 1879 to hold up to 144 children.
A Board School for infants was built in Skeldyke in 1897.
See our Schools page for more information on researching school records.