In the early 1800s Kirton in Lindsey was both a village and parish in the north of Lincolnshire. The parish lies about 155 miles north of London, 10 miles northeast of Gainsborough and south of Scunthorpe. Redbourne parish lies to the east. The parish covers about 4,700 acres.
The village was an ancient market town. In recent years it has grown to a small town of about 2,700 people. If you are planning a visit:
The town is very proud of its status as a town and its modern Sign welcoming travellers.
The town hosts a pleasure fair on the Green every 18th of July to honor Saint Andrew.
In 1842, Kirton had a "House of Correction". Ann EVERATT was the matron that year, and Mr. Thomas HILL was the turnkey.
The Kirton Gaol, noted above, had a treadmill built in 1822. Prisoners had to walk the treadmill 10 hours a day, 10 minutes on, 5 minutes off. Until 1880 there was no limit on how far the prisoners had to "climb" on a treadmill.
The town has a Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee Town Hall near the market place, built in 1897-98. It was built with stones carried up the hill from the old Kirton Gaol. The hall was renovated in 2010.
Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Mt. Pleasant Windmill on Geograph, taken in 2006. The windmill is just to the north of town.
There is a brass mural tablet inside the parish church that was put in place circa 1920 to honor the men who fell in the Great War. There is also a cenotaph that was erected on the village green in 1920 which had the names of the 38 men from Kirton who lost their lives in World War I.
Not listed on the Roll of Honour is Lloyd Henry Roper McCARTHY, Pilot Officer, Royal New Zealand Air Force, who died 14 August 1942 and who is buried in Kirton Lindsey cemetery. He was age 29, the son of Hugh D. and Alice M. McCARTHY of Auckland, New Zealand.
Philip MARKHAM of Denmark gives us this item from the Lincoln Mercury dated 4 March 1842:
"An Eccentric Patriarch - A short time ago died, at Kirton in Lindsey, in his 90th year, Joseph FROW, carpenter, father of Joseph FROW of Caistor. He was formerly apprenticed at Barrow upon Humber. Amongst the numerous vagaries which have characterized his life, upwards of thirty years ago he conceived the notable whim of making his own coffin, the bottom of which he constructed of different kinds of wood grooved together, which he invariably used, to the day of his death, as a portable cupboard, pantry, larder, corn and malt bin, store house and general warehouse; whenever he had occasion to move his locality, thither went upon his shoulder the coffin, with its heterogeneous contents; and he appeared much delighted with the gaping observations of passers-by. At his decease, his frail future tenement, like hisself, had got the worse for wear and cost as much in repairing as a new one. They are interred together without lamentation."