A small cemetery was laid out prior to World War II alongside the A15 on the east side of the road. The cemetery was extended in 2012. The webpage author could find no online or written history of this cemetery.
Langtoft is both a village and parish two miles northwest of Market Deeping, 5 miles south of Bourne and 41 miles southeast of Lincoln. The A15 trunk road goes right through the village. Deeping St. Nicholas lies to the northeast. The area is flat fenland, drained by many small canals, including the South Drove Drain.
If you are planning a visit:
Rodney BURTON has a photograph of the rather distinctive Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2007.
There is bus service from Bourne and Peterborough.
The name Langtoft is from the Old Scandinavian langr+toft, or "long homestead" and is listed in the 1086 Domesday Book as Langetof. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].
In 1707, Rachel HYDE left £50 for the poor. The money was used to purchase a small plot of land which was later sold for £450. The money was then used to purchase two houses in Long Sutton which were rented and the rental income distributed to the parish poor.
In 1820, the Rev. John MOSSOP leftalittle over 3 acres of land to generate revenue for poor widows of this parish and Baston parish.