- The civil parish was in the Louth sub-district of the Louth Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||H.O. 107 / 2111
||R.G. 9 / 2382
||R.G. 10 / 3403
||R.G. 12 / 2608
||R.G. 13 / 3084
||R.G. 14 / 19900
- Gilbert de LEKEBURN (or TODWALLE) founded a Priory of Cistercian nuns here shortly before the reign of King John, circa 1150. All the monastic buildings have since disappeared and a more modern mansion built on the site.
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- The church was built about 1380 out of chalk.
- The church was thoroughly restored in 1868.
- The church seats 240.
- The church is a Grade I listed building with British Heritage.
- Here is a photo of All Saints Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1711.
- The Bishop's Transcripts start in 1562.
- The Lincolnshire FHS has published several Marriage indexes and a Burial index for the Louthesk Deanery to make your search easier.
- There were chapels here prior to 1871 for Wesleyan Methodists and Reformed Methodists. The Primitive Methodists built their's in 1892. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Louth sub-district of the Louth Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Legbourne is a village and a parish which lies about 138 miles north of London and about 3 miles southeast of Louth. The parish is on the eastern side of the Wolds. This parish covers about 2,220 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
- Around 1848, the Great Northern Railway established the first station here with a rail link with another town.
- Ian PATERSON has an interesting photograph of a Road Signal relating to the railway, taken in 2008.
- The village has a pump in a pinnacled stone structure which was built in front of the church in 1877 by Canon J. OVERTON. The pump was the principal supply of water until water mains came in 1953. The pump is a Grade II listed structure.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of the village pump at Ge-org, taken in 2009.
- Legbourne Wood is part of the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust. It is 86 acres of ancient woodland, primarily oak and ash trees with a mix of wildflowers. It is very popular with birdwatchers.
- An oak wood of 100 acres surrounded the old manor house, called South House. The manor house was formerly attached to Louth Park Abbey.
- In 1881, Kenwick Hall was owned by H. C. H. ALLENBY. It was rebuilt in 1889.
- The national grid reference is TF 3684.
- An Ordnance Survey Explorer map will show detail of 2.5 inches to 1 mile scale.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
These are names on the Churchyard memorial, an obelisk, complete with abbreviations as on the memorial, which is for World War 1:
ERECTED BY THE INHABITANTS OF LEGBOURNE IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN WHO GAVE ALL IN FRANCE FOR THE CAUSE OF LIBERTY IN THE EUROPEAN WAR AUG. 4, 1914 · JUNE 28, 1918.
- LT. THOS. NOEL CHEYNEY GARFIT 2ND. DBR LT. IN APRIL 30, 1915 AGED 22.
- PTE. HERBERT SYDNEY MAW 17TH WELSH FUS. JULY 9TH, 1916, AGED 25.
- PTE. WILLIAM CHAS. LEEK, 3RD LINCOLNS. NOV 23RD 1916, AGED 33.
- LT. ANDREW JNO. HAY HOBSON 7TH WEST YORKS. OCT 9TH, 1917 AGED 25.
- PTE. WALTER KIRKHAM 5TH LANCS, FUS. OCT 9TH, 1917, AGED 19.
- SGT. CHAS. ED. SMALLEY R. E. DEC. 19TH, 1917, AGED 28.
- PTE HENRY COUPLAND. 12TH SUSSEX APRIL 9TH 1918 AGED 22.
- L/CPL GEO WILLIAM BAKER. 10TH LINCOLNS JUNE 14TH, 1918 AGED 26.
- CPL JOHN TAYLOR W. YORKS. JULY 20TH 1918 AGED 22.
This is a list of men and women serving their country (apparently during World War II). "Names of those from this parish on Active Service for their King and
- Arnold Edward
- Atkinson Derrick
- Atterby Victor
- Baxter Maurice
- Blanchard Ida
- Blanchard Leslie
- Bromfield Fred
- Cribb Christopher
- Cribb Henry
- Cribb John
- Cribb Nicholson
- Cribb Owen
- Cribb John
- Dixon June
- Dixon Philip
- Dixon Tony
- Dring James
- Dring Sidney
- Dudley William
- Fisher Charles
- Flinton Thomas
- Froggatt Leonard
- Gains Douglas
- Gains Roger
- Gains Roy
- Green Betty
- Green Eric
- Green Margery
- Hall Geoffrey
- Hall Roger
- Houghlby Frank
- King Joseph
- Kirkham Alfred
- Lill Michael
- Musson Sidney
- Meanwell John
- Nurse Ronald
- Olgeirson Einar
- Osbourne Edward
- Pinder Frank
- Pinder Fred
- Plumtree Cyril
- Rainey William
- Ridings Harry
- Ridings Lilly
- Ridings Norman
- Smart George
- Staples Henry
- Stevenson L
- Summerfield Alec
- Summerfield George
- Sykes Iris
- Towler Harold
- Twigg George
- Yarwood Kenneth
- Yarwood Stanley
- Locals pronounce the name as either "Leg Bun" or, a few, as "Leg Burn". I've also been told that some use "Leg Born".
- This place was an ancient parish in the county of Lincoln.
- The parish was in the Marsh division of the ancient Calceworth Wapentake in the East Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
- To discuss civil or political issues you can contact the Legbourne Parish Council. Alas, they are NOT staffed to assist with family history questions.
- For today's district governance, see the East Lindsey District Council.
- After the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, the parish became part of the Louth Poorlaw Union.
- A Parochial School was built here in 1863. In 1871 it had an attendance of about 120 children. In 1912, average attendance dropped to 72.
- East Wood Primary School was built in 1993.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Last updated: 13-December-2012 - Louis R. Mills]