The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter.
The church was built in the fourteenth century, with the chancel and sanctuary added around 1540.
The church was restored in 1879 and the tower was restored in 1897.
The North Door was blocked up in 1879. This door was originally known as the "Devil's Door" because it was opened during baptisms so that evil spirits could leave the church after a child had been Christened.
Lenton is both a town and parish nine and half miles south-east of Grantham and four miles west of Folkingham. The parish itself is bounded on the north by Sapperton parish, to the west by Ingoldsby parish and on the south by Irnham parish. The parish lies along the old Roman Road and covers about 1,880 acres.
Lenton is a small village, off the main roads. The parish also included the hamlets of Hanby, Keisby and Osgodby. Hanby is a half mile north of Lenton on the old Roman Road and is believed to have been a separate parish in ancient times. Keisby is a mile south-west of Lenton Village and contains the site of a medieval village. Osgodby is another half mile further south and is the site of a spring and Osgodby Hall. A small beck runs through the parish and feeds into the River Glen. If you are planning a visit:
The town can be accessed off of the A15 trunk road between Bourne and Sleaford. Turn off at Foklingham and head west.
The name of Lenton comes from the Old English combination Leofa+ing+tun or "estate of a man called Leofa". The name appears in 1067 as Lofintun and in the 1086 Domesday Book as Lavingtone. A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.
There are many old records where the Lavington form can be found.