The Anglican parish registers exist from 1681 and the Bishop's Transcripts from 1561.
The Lincolnshire Archives have the Parish Register for these dates: Baptisms 1681-1930, Marriages 1681-1926, Burials 1681-1849.
The Lincolnshire Archives have the Bishop's Transcripts for this parish, but, as of 2012, they were not catalogued properly. The Family History Library in Salt Lake City and the Family History Centre in London have the BTs from 1561 through 1838. These can be ordered on Microfilm.
The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a burial index for the Beltisloe Deanery to make your search easier.
The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1880. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
Little Bytham is both a village and parish which lies 92 miles north of London, 8 miles north of Stamford, 7 miles east of Bourne and 4 miles south of Corby Glen. Castle Bytham parish lies to the west and Creeton parish to the north. The parish covers just over 1,230 acres.
The village is called "an ancient village on an acclivity" in the early directories of 1800. The River Tham flows through the village and on toward the River Witham. The West Glen River passes just east of the village. If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, the village lies just east of the A1 trunk road.
Check the bus schedules at Transport Services. Beware, some routes do not have scheduled stops in Little Bytham, they just pass through the village. Remember to ask the driver if they stop (or will stop) there.
The village Hall is on High Street, postal code NG33 4QX.
There is a caravan park just northwest of the village.
Some travellers will prefer the Willougby Arms for a meal and beverage. They are on Station Road.
The "Adamantine Clinker & Fireclay Company" were the 20th century followup in making firebricks.
The main line of the Midland and Great Northern is considered to begin at a point near Little Bytham, where it is connected with the L.M.S. branch from Saxby. It crosses the L.N.E.R. and runs via Bourne, Sutton Bridge, South Lynn, Fakenham, and Melton Constable, to Cromer. This line carries the express trains from the Midlands to the East Coast.
Bytham is from the Old English bythme or "valley bottom," and the name first appears in 1067 as Bytham and in the 1086 Domesday Book as Bitham. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].