Little Hale (Hale Parva)
Note: Little Hale is not an ancient ecclesiastical parish of Lincolnshire.
- The civil parish was in the Heckington Sub-district of the Sleaford Registration District.
- For the 1891 census, the returns fit on three fiche.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||R.G. 9 / 2345
||R.G. 10 / 3352
||R.G. 12 / 2579
- There is no evidence found of an Anglican church at Little Hale.
- The Family History Library shows all Little Hale church records as being under Great Hale.
- Parish registers date from 1561.
- The LFHS has published several indexes for the Lafford Deanery to make your search easier.
- Gordon Warrington hase been transcribing the Parish Registers for Great Hale, which cover Little Hale baptisms, marriages and burials from 1810-1837. These can be downloaded in MS Excel format from the Heckington site.
- The Primitive Methodists built a chapel here about 1840. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Heckington sub-district of the Sleaford Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
This village was a township in the ecclesiastical parish of Great Hale, but was created as a civil parish in modern times. The civil parish lies just south of Great Hale parish and just north of Helpringham parish. Swineshead parish is to the west. The parish covers about 2,490 acres, almost all is reclaimed Fen land.
The hamlet of Little Hale is only a mile south of Great Hale (called just "Hale" in these modern times). Hale itself seems almost a suburb of Heckington (to the north). If you are planning a visit:
- Take the A17 trunk road that runs between Sleaford and Holbeach and turn south at Heckington onto the B1394. Alternatively, you could take the A52 between Grantham and Boston and turn north onto the B1394 at Swaton.
- Visit our touring page for more sources.
- Little Hale is first mentioned as a separate entity in 1371, when Thomas TYGOW of Hale was recorded as taking more than his share by statute from Hugh SKYRMER of Little Hale.
- Robert HUSSEY, born about 1472 at Sleaford, held the manor at Little Hale in the early 1500's. He was involved in the coronation of Queen Anne Boleyn in May of 1533.
- The national grid reference is TF 1442.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey Explorer #261 map, which has a scale of 2.5 inches to the mile.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
- The name Hale is Old English halh or "nook or corner of land". The village is listed in the 1086 Domesday Book as Hale, and the entry covers both Great Hale and Little Hale. Hale Parva is the Latinized form of Little Hale and may appear in some church entries.
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
- White's 1871 Directory contains these surnames: ALLETT, BARNES, CHRISTOPHER, CLARK, CREASY, DICKENS, EVERARD, FAULKNER, GARRATT, GREEN, HARRIS, HASSELL, HIDES, HUTCHINSON, OUZMAN, READ, TOMLINSON and WARD.
- Kelly's 1913 Directory contains these surnames: ATKINSON, BROWN, CODDINGTON, DICKENSON, FAULKNER, FLETCHER, FULFORTH, HARMSTON, HARRIS, HOLLINGSWORTH, HUMBERSTONE, KEY, LAWSON, MADDISON, MAPLETOFT, NICKOLLS, PRIESTLY, RICKETT, SCOGGINS, STENNETT, TASKER, TOMLINSON, WALKER and WETHERELL.
- Little Hale is also a township in the ecclesiastical parish of of Hale Magna.
- Little Hale is an ancient township in country Lincoln and was created as a Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- The parish was in the ancient Aswardhurn Wapentake in the North Kesteven district and parts of Kesteven.
- For today's district governance, see the North Kesteven District Council.
- The parish heath was enclosed in 1700 and about 20 acres were set aside to generate income to aid the poor. Most of the aid was distributed as coal.
- After the Poor Law reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Sleaford Poor Law Union.
- There was a Church of England School built to hold 130 children and shared between the two Hales.
- Little Hale had a National School built to hold 60 children. Average attendance in 1913 was 53. Mrs. Annie Elizabeth Debus was the schoolmistress then.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Last updated: 24-November-2011 - Louis R. Mills]