The local Anglican church is dedicated to Saint Guthlac and is of Anglo-Norman origin.
St. Guthlac's seated 190.
The west wall was rebuilt in 1657 and a new roof installed in 1870.
In 1913, the seating was about 150.
At the enclosure of common lands in 1811 or 1813, about 200 acres were set aside to generate income for the church.
Around 1880, due to the growth of Grantham, the church was moved to the new Grantham Deanery. And by 1913, to the South Grantham Deanery. Most family records will be found in the Beltisloe Deanery indexes (see below).
Here is a photo of St. Guthlac's, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
Little Ponton is both a parish and a small village about 2 miles south of Grantham. The parish itself is bounded on the north by Spittlegate parish and to the west by Stroxton parish. Great Ponton lies to the south. The parish covered about 1,895 acres in 1842, reduced to 1,420 acres by 1871. In 1913, the parish boundaries allowed 1,980 acres.
Little Ponton is a small village and does not appear on some small scale (large area) maps of the UK. The village verges on the Witham River on the east end. If you are planning a visit:
Little Ponton Hall, or the Hall as it was known, was a neat stone mansion in well-wooded grounds on an eastern rise, occupied in the early 1800s by the Earl of Darlington, later given the title of the Duke of Cleveland. Although portions were built at different times, by different owners, the appearance was kept uniform.
In 1900, the Hall was the residence of Major William LONGSTAFFE.