The LFHS has published several marriage indexes for the Grantham Deanery to make your search easier.
The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here about 1870 and the Primitive Methodists had one even earlier, which they rebuilt about 1870. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
This village and parish overlooks the Vale of Belvoir to the west in Nottinghamshire. The town of Grantham is 8 miles down the A1 trunk road to the southeast and Newark-on-Trent is only 6 miles away in the other direction. The parish of West Allington lies to the southeast and Foston and Westborough to the east. The parish covers just over 4,400 acres. Bennington Grange, about two miles south of the village, was established as a separate civil parish under Queen Victoria.
The village lies on the old road between Grantham and Newark-on-Trent. The River Witham flows northward along the east side of the village and forms one border of the parish. It is here that the River Witham comes within three miles of the River Devon, a tributary of the River Trent, before changing its mind and heading north toward Lincoln. If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the A1 trunk road between Grantham and Newark-on-Trent.
Fishing is popular due to the wealth of local rivers.
Evidence of pre-Roman occupation has been found at several locations in Long Bennington.
In 1066, Long Bennington parish was held by Ralf the Staller. It had earlier been held by Siward, Earl of Northumbria (1033 - 1055) and his wife (later widow) Godiva (no, not the one of Coventry fame). Ralf's Lincolnshire lands were granted to Count Alan of Brittany as a Conquest prize.
The local church and four caracates of land were given by Ralph de FILGERUS (or FOULGERS) to the abbey of Savigny in Normandy before 1175. The land was later seized by Richard II.
The parish used to be the site of a limestone quarry and limekilns. In 1871, the quarries all belonged to a Mr. SHORT.
The name is from the Old English Long+Beonna+ing+tun, meaning "Long Farmstead of Beonna" and appears as Beningtun in the 1086 Domesday Book. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
The name was Bennington for centuries, but as the village grew along the road, restricted on one side by the River Witham, it added the adjective "Long" as a descriptive phrase.
In 1871, William DRING was the local postmaster. Dr. Irving WILLIAM BELL was the local surgeon.
In 1913, Charles Frederick HALDENBY was the sergeant at the Long Bennington police station. Miss Mary E. FOSTER was the local subpostmistress. William Beedham WADSWORTH was the local schoolmaster. Dr. Herbert Elwin MIDDLEBROOKE was the local surgeon.