GENUKI Home page
Lincolnshire Lincolnshire
county page
    Contents Contents     Parish Index Lincolnshire
Towns & Parishes
Neighbours Nearby Places

Luddington

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2111
1861 R.G. 9 / 3527
1871 R.G. 10 / 4729
1891 R.G. 12 / 3871
Return to top of page

Church History

Luddington St. Oswald parish church

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Luddington is one of the eight original parishes in the Isle of Axholme in the far northwest corner of Lincolnshire. Crowle parish lies 5 miles to the south-west and Scunthorpe is 10 miles south-east. The parish covers about 3,700 acres and inlcudes the township of Garthorpe.

Luddington was once a river island, having the Meredyke on the south, the Trent on the east and the Don on the north and west. At the time it was the most northern parish in the Isle of Axholme. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military Records

David WRIGHT has a photograph of the 1939-1945 Roll of Honour on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2007.

Luddington churchyard has one Commonwealth War Grave from World War II:

  1. John JACKLIN, lance srgt., Colstream Guards, age 31, died 6 Dec. 1944. Son of Fred and Hannah JACKLIN of Garthorpe.
Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Governance

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 795
1811 821
1841 982
1871 775
1881 628
1891 464
1901 492
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Societies

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

[Last updated: 6-September-2013 - Louis R. Mills]