GENUKI Home page
Lincolnshire Lincolnshire
county page
    Contents Contents     Parish Index Lincolnshire
Towns & Parishes
Neighbours Nearby Places

Ludford (Ludford Magna and Ludford Parva)

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2112
1861 R.G. 9 / 2384
1871 R.G. 10 / 3405
1891 R.G. 12 / 2609
Return to top of page

Church History

Saints Mary and Peter's church

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Ludford is a parish at the north end of the River Bain, westnorthwest of Louth and south of Binbrook parish. The parish is in the Wold Hills and covers about 3,300 acres. The parish includes the hamlets of Great Towes and Thorpe le Mire (also known as Thorpe in Mire).

Ludford village consists of the ancient villages of Ludford Magna and Ludford Parva and bisects the road between Louth and Gainsborough, now the A631 trunk road. It is at the summit of the Lincolnshire Wolds located about three miles east of Market Rasen. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

John Emerson, who retains the copyright, provides these photographs of the war memorial at Ludford:

War memorial

Memorial base

Return to top of page

Military Records

John Emerson provides this list of names off the war memorial at Ludford:

In memory of the men of Ludford who died for their country 1914-1918

Name Notes Name Notes
A. ALLWOOD E. EAST
H. BRATLEY W. H. HILL
C. BRIGGS C. HUNT
J. BRIGGS H. LEE
G. A. BROWN J. SMITH
F. BRUMPTON J. W. T. THOMPSON
J. WHYBROW
Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

     Year  Inhabitants
1801 314
1811 337
1831 322
1841 367
1871 416
1881 390
1891 313
1901 257
1911 246
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

[Last updated: 19-December-2012 - Louis R. Mills]