Lusby is both a village and a parish in the Wold hills, 4.5 miles west of Spilsby and 6 miles east of Horncastle. Hagworthingham parish lies to the north and Asgarby parish to the south. The parish covered about 760 acres in 1842, increasing to 1,075 (including a Fen allotment of 212 acres) by 1872. In 1900, the parish covered about 880 acres. The parish has been a predominatly agricultural settlement over the centuries.
Lusby village is on a road that runs from Hagworthingham south to East Kirkby. If you are planning a visit:
Take the B1195 road between Horncastle and Spilsby. The village is one mile south of Hagworthingham.
The name comes from the Old Scandinavian Lutr+by for "village of Lutr" and appeared in the 1086 Domesday Book as Luzeby. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].
White's 1842 Directory lists the following people in the parish: Richd. CLARK, Jervis GOODWIN, Samuel JOLL, Joseph LILL, John MATTHEWS, Wm. NICHOLSON and Robert ROBINSON.
White's 1872 Directory lists the following people in the parish: Robert BELL, Henry BRUMLEY, Jas. BURRELL, Jarvis GOODWIN, Mrs. Mary Ann HARDY, Henry MARCH, Joseph Samuel ROBINSON, Thomas ROBINSON and Robert STONES.
White's 1882 Directory lists the following people in the parish: Robert BELL, Rev. Brackenbury Dickson BOGIE, Henry BRUMBY, -- DRACASS, John EVISON, Jarvis GOODWIN, John HOLDCROSS, Henry MARCH, William PALETHORPE, Mrs. Betsy PROCTOR, Alfred ROBINSON, Robert STONES and Richard TOYNO.
Kelly's 1900 Directory lists the following people in the parish: Salisbury BOND Jnr., Henry BRUMBY, John EVISON, Charles Thomas LETTICE, John PROCTOR and Alfd. ROBINSON.
Kelly's 1913 Directory lists the following people in the parish: Rev. Clement Hy. W. BELLAIRS, Salisbury BOND Jnr., Henry BRUMBY, Arthur William JOHNSON, Brothers LETTICE, John PROCTOR, Alfred ROBINSON and George WATSON.