The Baptist Unitarians had a chapel here, closed by 1870. The Primitive Methodists built a chapel here in 1834. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
Sutton St. Nicholas (also known as "Lutton") is a parish about 105 miles north of London, a mile north off the A17 trunk road that runs between King's Lynn and Holbeach, which is four miles to the northwest. Gedney parish lies to the north and west. The Wash forms the eastern boundary. The area is marshy, drained by several small canals. The principal village is Lutton (or Lutton Bourne). In area, the parish covers 3,777 acres.
Sutton St. Nicholas is considered the original parish of the cluster of "Sutton" parishes in the Holland area. In 1332, the area was one of the most populous in Lincolnshire, with over 5,000 inhabitants.
To avoid the plague, several wealthy London merchants settled here in 1603. Dr. Busby, the celebrated master of Westminster school, was born here in 1606, and buried in Westminster Abbey in 1695.
The name Sutton St. Nicholas is from the Old English suth+tun, or "southern village". The name Lutton is from the Old English luh+tun, or "farmstead by a pool", and appears as Luctone in the 1086 Domesday Book. ["A Dictionary of English Place-Names," A. D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1991]
The name Lutton reputedly comes from "lode town". The lodes (or drains) in the area pass through the parish.