Mareham on the Hill is both a parish and a small village in the Wold hills, about 2.5 miles south-east of Horncastle and about 8 miles due east of Spilsby. High Toynton parish lies to the north, Scrivelsby parish to the south-west and Hammeringham parish to the south-east. The parish covered about 1,425 acres in 1842, but only 1,380 by 1872 due to the loss of a Fen allotment
The village is small. If you are planning a visit:
The name derives from the Old English mere+inga+ham, meaning "settlement of dwellers by the pools". It appears as Meringhe in the 1086 Domesday Book and Marum around 1200. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].
White's 1842 Directory lists the following people in the parish: James ALLBONES, Henry ASTROP, Peter COLTON, Edward FROST, Zach. GOE, Samuel GOE, William MUMBY, William SCOTT, Samuel SORFLEET and Richard WINGATE.
White's 1872 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: AISTROP, BAGGALEY, BELL, COLTON, HUGHES, HURDMAN, NUNBY, SHAW, SORFLEET, STAMPER, SURR and WINGATE.
White's 1882 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: COLTON, ENGLISH, HOULT, HUGHES, HURDMAN, MARSHALL, NUNDY, SHAW, SMITH, SMITHSON, SORFLEET, STAMPER, SURR, TODD and WINGATE.
Kelly's 1900 Directory lists the following people in the parish: William COLTON, Henry HOULT, Joseph HURDMAN, James and Emanuel MARSHALL, William NUNDY, Miss Sarah Jane SMITHSON, Edward SORFLEET, Henry TODD and Brown WINGATE.
Kelly's 1913 Directory lists the following people in the parish: George & Harry HOULT, George & Harry HURDMAN, James MARSHALL, Francis NUNDY, Frederick PAUL, Miss Sarah J. SMITHSON, Tom THACKER, George TODD and Henry and Lowther WINGATE.