The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a burial index for the Westwold Deanery to make your search easier.
The Wesleyan Methodist chapel, in Chapel Street, was built in 1862 to replace a smaller chapel built in 1800.
The Primitive Methodist chapel, in Jameson Bridge Street, was built in 1866.
The Free (United) Methodist chapel, in Union Street, was built in 1861.
The Catholic church is dedicated to the Holy Rood and was built in 1824 on King Street, then enlarged in 1869. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
Market Rasen is a both a parish and a village of the same name. It lies 15 miles north-east of Lincoln and 15 miles west of Louth. Linwood parish lies to the south and Middle Rasen parish to the west. The parish only covers about 975 acres.
Market Rasen was described by Charles Dickens as the "sleepiest town in England." If you are planning a visit:
Market Rasen lies on the A46 trunk road about midway between Lincoln and Grimsby. The A631 also passes through the heart of the village as it winds between West rasen and Louth.
A hospital was founded here in 1612 by George St. POLL of Snarford, for the maintenance of eight indigent men. the hospital was still in operation in 1912, with five residents, but access to historical medical records is unknown.
The Market Rasen Dispensary was established here in 1856 to aid the poor.
The Cottage Hospital was built in Deer Street in 1869, again with a primary focus of the poor. The hospital only had room for six patients.
In 1882 Mrs. Joan COLES was the matron of the hospital.
For 1900 through 1913 Mrs. Edna CASSWELL was the matron of the hospital.
In 1920 the Market Rasen Dispensary had merged with the hospital and the local nursing association. It was now called the Market Rasen Dispensary, Cottage Hospital and DIstrict Nursing Association. In 1930, the hospital still held 8 patients who paid a small fee for the weekly room and board.
K Company of the 1st Lincolnshire Rifle Volunteers was established in 1860. In 1872, Captain Henry Croft CHAMBERS, commanding; Lieut. Harry BROOKS; Samuel CHAPMAN was the drill instructor and G. ELWICK was the sergreant.
In 1882, Arthur A. PADLEY was the Captain; Frank B. COUSANS was the 1st. Lieut.; H. P. PADLEY was the 2nd Lieut.; Peter LOGAN was the drill sergeant; and W. COCKING was the quarter-master sergeant.
In 1885, Captain Frank B. COUSINS, commanding; Edward Wm. BARTON, acting sergeant; Peter LOGAN, drill sergeant.
Peter LOGAN was born in Ireland circa 1836.
The Market Rasen War Memorial is pictured on Flickr. It was unveiled on 18 June 1922 and stands in front of the Methodist Church.
Julian P. GUFFOGG has a photograph of the World War Two War Memorial windows in St. Thomas Church on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2016.
Mark in Barcelona was given two old ledgers in 2005 belonging to a Market Rasen building/joiner's firm owned by his great grandfather's brother-in-law. They cover the period from just after 1900 to the late 1930s. Mark's Building/Joiner ledger list of names.
The Willingham road (boys) school was built in 1822 to hold 150 children. The girls' school was built in 1870 and an Infants' school in 1868.
The Catholic school on King street was closed in 1909.
The Wesleyan Methodists built a school here in 1873 to hold 240 children.
Market Rasen's De Aston School (founded 1863) has a website at De Aston School, with history. It was erected in 1862 on Willingham road as "the De Aston Grammar School." In 1904 new classrooms were added.
Chris has a photograph of De Aston School on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2013.
See our Schools page for more information on researching school records.