GENUKI Home page
Lincolnshire Lincolnshire
county page
    Contents Contents     Parish Index Lincolnshire
Towns & Parishes
Neighbours Nearby Places

Martin (by Sleaford)

Note: Martin (by Sleaford) is not an "ancient" parish of Lincolnshire.

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2341
1871 R.G. 10 / 3348
1891 R.G. 12 / 2577
Return to top of page

Church History

Holy Trinity Church

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

This village and parish is twelve miles north-northeast of Sleaford and 14 miles southeast of Lincoln. The parish is a long, narrow structure, generally one mile wide and six miles long, running east to west. The parish was formed on 1 August 1882 from a portion of Timberland parish. Timberland parish lies to the south and Blankney parish to the north. The Car Dyke forms the eastern border. The parish covers some 3,780 acres of Fen and black moorland.

The village of Martin was in ancient times known as Merton. Long a township in Timberland parish, this status changed after a surge in population in the mid 1800's. The local Anglican Church was built and the village became the center of the new parish of Martin. The older town of Martin near Horncastle was renamed Martin Dales by the railways to differentiate the two. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Land and Property

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Governance

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

     Year  Inhabitants
1801 303
1831 640
1841 926
1871 914
1881 822
1891 777
1901 723
1911 719
1921 667
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

[Last updated: 23-October-2012 - Louis R. Mills]