Mere Hospital, or Mere Hall, is a village and parish about 4.5 miles south-east of Lincoln in Lincolnshire, near Branston parish, and due west of Potterhanworth parish. The parish covers about 1,500 acres. Slightly more than half of that is the charity estate of Mere Hospital.
If you are planning a visit:
Take the B1198 trunk road, south out of Lincoln. This travels through the heart of the village.
At one time, this was a considerable village and traces of foundations can still be found around the principal farm house.
The Knights Templar established themselves here about 1200.
Around 1240 (and before 1246), Simon de ROPPELL founded a hospital here, dedicated to St. John the Baptist. By 1872, only traces of the hospital foundation could be found on Chapel Close. Proceeds from leasing out hospital land were mismanaged and misappropriated, sparking a review by Parliament, started in 1818. In 1837 a report was presented and in 1858 the Court of Chancery presented a new administrative policy to prevent the misuse of funds.
The early history of "RAF Mere" is uncertain. Because of its location it was often called RAF Mere Branston. There was possibly an airfield here as early as 1919 or 1920, but no record of flight operations from the Great War have been found.
In 1949 Mere was assigned to the Central Signals Area, apparently as a direction finding station.
In November 1951 the station was renamed as No. 661 Signals Unit.
At the end of October 1957 the station became a subordinate unit of RAF Digby.
In February 1962 RAF Mere Branston became an inactive station.
In May 1967 RAF Mere Branston was sold off. At least one building remains on the site,
The name Mere is often spelled as "Meer" on old records. At the foot of a hill, below the present farm house, is a spring which gives rise to a rivulet. In ancient times this feed a large pool, or "meer" in Old English, from which the place took its name.