GENUKI Home page
Lincolnshire Lincolnshire
county page
    Contents Contents     Parish Index Lincolnshire
Towns & Parishes
Neighbours Nearby Places

Messingham

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 640
1851 H.O. 107 / 2117
1861 R.G. 9 / 2401
1871 R.G. 10 / 3434
1881 R.G. 11 / 3288
1891 R.G. 12 / 2628
1901 R.G. 13 / 3106
Return to top of page

Church History

Holy Trinity Church

Holy Trinity Church

St. Andrew's Church

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Messingham is a parish just south of the city of Scunthorpe. Scotter parish lies to the south.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

History

Extract from Kelly's Lincolnshire Directory, 1876:

"MESSINGHAM is a large and well-built village and parish, in the Northern division of the county, parts of Lindsey, east division of the wapentake of Manley, petty sessional division of Burton-upon-Stather, Brigg union and county court district, Manlake rural deanery, Stow archdeaconry, and diocese of Lincoln, 4 miles east from Butterwick Ferry, 7 west-by-south from Brigg, 164 miles from London, and 5 north-west from Kirton-in-Lindsey railway station ; it comprises also part of East Butterwick, on the Trent. The church of the Holy Trinity is a stone building, in the style of the fourteenth century, partly rebuilt about the year 1818,at a cost of nearly 2,000 : there is some stained glass in the east window, some of which was removed from the neighbouring church of Scotton ; other portions were taken from the windows of Manchester cathedral. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value 430, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln and held by the Rev. George Charles Dickinson, of St. Aidan's. In the principal street of this village is a sycamore tree, which stands on the site of the village cross ; it is called Cross Tree, and is noted for the fact that John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, preached under it. A National school-room has been erected, at a cost of above 300, capable of accommodating 140 children. There are places of worship for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists ; the former has been enlarged and improved. A pleasure fair is held here on Trinity Monday. Here is a library and reading-room.At East Butterwick there is access to the Hull and Gainsborough steamers on the Trent. Here is a Temperance hall, which will seat from 400 to 500 people : it is intended for lectures and public meetings : the hall is so arranged that the visitors can promenade in the splendid gardens of C. J. Russell, esq., who built the hall at his own expense ; Mr C. Clay is the manager. William Smith, esq., is lord of the manor. The vicar, William Smith, esq., Messrs. George Sowerby, George Wakefield, Thomas Stocks are the principal landowners. The soil is sand and clay ; subsoil, ironstone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area of the township is 5,450 acres, and the population in 1871 was 1,100 ; the area of the parish, including the township of East Butterwick, is 6,130 acres, and the population in 1871 was 1,342.
Parish Clerk, John Walker.

POST OFFICE. - ; Mrs Ann Clay, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Lincoln at 10.30 p.m. ; dispatched at 3.30 p.m. The nearest money offices are at Kirton, Brigg & Barringham.

Library & Reading Room, George Henry Warner, sec. ; Charles Samuel Clay, assistant sec.

Temperance Hall, Charles Clay.

Superintendent Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, L. M. Bennett, esq. of Winterton.

National School, James Moore, master.

CARRIER. - Thomas Redhead, to Brigg, thursday ; to Gainsborough, tuesday & sat. ; to Kirton Lindsey, fri.

[Private Residents:]

Dickinson, Rev. George Charles [vicar].
Fowler, James.
Russell, Charles James.
Terrewest, William.
Walker, Mrs Charles.
Walker, Mrs William.
Whaplate, Richard.
Whaplate, William.
Year  Person
1842 Thos, ROWBOTHAM, vict.
1868 George SOWERBY, farmer
1872 George SOWERBY, farmer & vict.
1882 Walter HOPKINSON, vict.
1900 John SLEIGHT
1909 John SLEIGHT
1913 Claude Harry SISSONS
1930 Charles WIlliam BROWN
Return to top of page

Manors

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

For a photograph of the Messingham War Memorial and the list of names on it, see the Roll of Honour site.

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 505
1831 1,250
1871 1,372
1881 1,133
1911 1,141
2001 3,715
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

[Last updated: 5-February-2014 - Louis R. Mills]