Miningsby is both a parish and a small village in the Wold hills, about 6 miles southeast of Horncastle and 6 miles west of Spilsby. Winceby parish lies to the north, Hameringham parish to the northwest and Hareby parish to the east. The parish covered about 730 acres in the early 1800's (1,000 acres if fen allotment included).
The village is small. If you are planning a visit:
The name likely derives from the Old Scandinavian Mithjungr+by, meaning "farmstead of a man named Mithjungr". It appears as Melingesby in the 1086 Domesday Book and as Mithingesbia in 1142. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].
White's 1842 Directory lists the following people in the parish: Wm. BAILEY, Ambrose BULLIVANT, V. COTTON, Samuel DESFORGES, David FOWLER, Matthew SCAMAN, Ann SIMONS and John WEST.
White's 1872 Directory lists the following people in the parish: Vincent COTTON, John ENGLISH, John LEE, Rev. William LYNES, Robert MARTIN, Rev. William NEVINS, John NORTON, Mrs. Betsy PROCTOR, Charles ROSS, Joseph SIMONS and Thomas William WEST.
White's 1882 Directory lists the following people in the parish: Rev. Henry CAUKWELL, Edward COTTON, John ENGLISH, John Cragg HOLLAND, Mrs. Mary Ann KENNEDY, Robert MARTIN, John NORTON, Charles ROSS and Joseph SIMONS.
Kelly's 1900 Directory lists the following people in the parish: George BEARD, Elizabeth BLADES, Rev. Henry CAUKWELL, Henry DODDS, John Joseph SIMONS, Walter SKELTON and John WRIGHT.
Kelly's 1913 Directory lists the following people in the parish: William BEARD, Bruce B. CAUKWELL, Henry MEANWELL, John Joseph SIMONS, Sidney WOOD and Thomas WRIGHT.