The Anglican parish church was dedicated to All Saints.
The church was rebuilt in 1864 using materials from the old church. Built of stone, it had Ancaster stone dressings.
The church spire was struck by lightning on 8 July 1893.
The church was restored in 1911.
The church seated 160.
The church was declared redundant by the Diocese of Lincoln in July, 1976. In November of 1982, the building was demolished and the site sold or leased out. It is not reported if the churchyard is still in use.
Anglican parish register entries start in 1561 and include Claxby Pluckacre.
Burial register entries for All Saints (1813-1899) are included in the National Burial Index (NBI).
Most local Anglicans today attend church in Wilksby parish.
The LFHS has published several marriage and burial indexes for the Horncastle Deanery to make your search easier.
The volunteers for Free Reg. have transcribed the marriages for this parish from 1681 to 1970. They've also included the baptisms and burials for roughly the same period.
The Wesleyan Methodists had a small chapel here, built before 1842 (some records indicate the chapel was in the Fen allotment, which later went to Wildmore Fen parish). For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
The Wesleyans abandoned this chapel and sold it for private use. David HITCHBORNE has a photograph of the Former Methodist Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2007.
In 1842, J. B. STANHOPE was lord of the manor and a principal landowner, but part of the parish belonged to the Rev. W. H. RAWNSLEY and to John ELSEY and a few smallholders.
In 1872, J. B. STANHOPE was lord of the manor and a principal landowner, but part of the parish belonged to the Rev. R. B. D. RAWNSLEY and to the trustees of John ELSEY and the trustees of Bardney School.
In 1882, J. B. STANHOPE was lord of the manor and a principal landowner, but part of the parish belonged to the Rev. R. B. D. RAWNSLEY and to Thomas ELSEY and the trustees of Bardney School.
In 1900, the RAWNSLEY family were the principal landowners.
In 1913, the trustees of Rev. RAWNSLEY were the principal landowners.
The parish was used as a "Great War landing ground," but no aerodome was constructed and no unit was posted here.
In World War II, the village was also home to Camp 79. This was one of only five remaining POW camps in England, according to English Heritage. The camp's huts were used for many years as turkey sheds, but have been torn down. The camp was a standard WWII working camp and housed a large number of German soldiers, many of whom integrated into the local population; many have fond memories of their time in the village and still visit the area.
The name derives from the Old Scandinavian mor+by, meaning "farmstead or village in the moor or marshland". It appeared in the 1086 Domesday Book as Morebi. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].
White's 1842 Directory lists these individuals: George BAINTON, Thos. BIRD, Martin BORROWS, John FRANKISH, William GREEN, Christopher GUY, Christopher LEONARD, Jno. LOWISH, Wm. NEWHAM, Wm. RANSHAW and John WRIGHT.
White's 1872 Directory lists these individuals: Robert BURROWS, John CHEESEMAN, John COOK, Miss Louisa COVILL, Mrs. Elizabeth DAFT, Rev. Hamilton Llewellyn GERTY, William GREEN, Rchd. HARRISON, William NEWHAM, William RANSHAW, Rev. Francis SMITH, John VEAL and Edward WELLS.
White's 1882 Directory lists these individuals: John BBrown BURROWS, John CHEESEMAN, John Hall COOK, Holdershaw DAFT, John FOWLER, William GREEN, James HODSON, William NEWHAM, Rev. Francis SMITH, Miss Harriet TABRAHAM, John VEAL and Mrs. Elizabeth WELLS.
Kelly's 1900 Directory lists these individuals: James Brown BURROWS, William COOK, George Shaw CHEESEMAN, William HARDY, George MIDDLETON, Thomas MIDDLETON, Rev. Benjamin Williams RICKETTS and Frank Thos. WALTER.
Kelly's 1913 Directory lists these individuals: Arthur BELLAMY, Fred BRACKENBURY, George Shaw CHEESEMAN, Mrs. Frances HARDY, Rev. Edward Haydock MURDOCH and Frank Thos. WALTER.
A parish school was built in 1855, but replaced the next year after the local parishes formed a school board.
A National School was erected in 1856 to serve the parishes of Moorby, Wilksby, Calxby Pluckacre and Wood Enderby. The school was enlarged in 1872. Designed to hold up to 104 children, attendance in 1913 was only 48.