Morton by Bourne is both a village and parish about 2 miles north of Bourne and 97 miles north of London. The parish includes the hamlet of Hanthorpe (also called Harmthorpe). Hacconby parish lies to the north. The parish covers about 4,850 acres of land that is typical Fenland marsh.
The A15 trunk road (the old Roman Road) runs through the west end of the village. The village was, in the 19th century, supplied with water from artesian wells. The River Glen flows southward just outside the eastern edge of the village. If you are planning a visit:
The Delane Bus Company provides local passenger bus transport from Bourne and Peterborough.
Passenger service on the old Bourne to Sleaford railway line ceased in 1959. The tracks have been torn up and the old railway line is now a hiking path.
Kieth EVANS has a photograph of an old Milestone on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2012.
Rex NEEDLE has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2000. Stop in and ask for a schedule of forth-coming events.
Bob HARVEY has a photograph of the War Memorial in the churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2014.
During World War II, Hanthorpe House was requisitioned by the government as a Prisoner of War camp for Italian prisoners. Later, the camp was used for German prisoners.
In 1930 Major Thomas KELSEY was a resident of this parish, living in Southlands House. In August 1886 he had been appointed as a Leuitenent to the 1st Volunteer battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment. He died in 1941.
Michael PECK provides: "The Morton (by Bourne) War Memorial has now been recorded. It is for WW1 only and consists of 2 parts, a memorial 'proper' in the church grounds which shows no names and a plaque which actually names the men (specifically states Morton and Hanthorpe) inside the church. The names recorded are:"
John Thomas Ashton
William James Barron
John James Booth
Arthur Charles Parker
Rupert Hardy Parker
Joseph Parker Taylor
There is also this burial in the churchyard:
Albert Edward WHITETHREAD, priv., 88th training batln., age 35, died 15 June 1917.
The name Morton is from the Old English Mor+tun, or "Farmstead on the moor or marsh". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village is given as Mortun. ["A Dictionary of English Place-Names," A. D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1991]