The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Thomas of Canterbury (several sources refute this, claiming St. Peter).
This church was extensively repaired in 1844.
This church chancel was rebuilt in 1874.
This church was restored in 1903.
The church seats 300.
The Anglican parish church in Mumby Chapel is dedicated to Saint Leonard. Much of the land of the chapel has been lost to the sea. The first chapel here was washed into the sea in 1570, then again in 1750.
Mumby Chapel's chapel of ease is mentioned in "The Inquisitions of Henry VIII" in 1532.
There is a photograph of St. Thomas Church on the Wendy PARKINSON web site.
The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel in Mumby in 1839.
The Primitive Methodists built a chapel in Mumby and another in Mumby Chapel. The Primitive Methodists built a new chapel in 1909. For more on these chapels and their records, check our Non-Conformist Church Records page.
This parish and village are only about 2 miles from the North Sea and 5 miles southeast of Alford. Anderby parish and town lies to the northeast, Huttoft parish to the north and Hogsthorpe parish to the south. The parish covers about 3,000 acres and includes the hamlets of Mumby Chapel, Elsey and Langham-Row.