The Newark Poor Law Union (and Civil registration District) was centered in Newark, Nottinghamshire, but included 26 Lincolnshire parishes.
In 1817, the Claypole Incorporation was formed, comprised of 20 parishes (5 in Nottinghamshire and 15 in Lincolnshire), and it erected a workhouse at Claypole in Lincolnshire, about three miles from the Nottinghamshire border.
After the Poor Law Reform Act of 1834, the Newark Poor Law Union was formed on 24 March 1836 to serve 44 local parishes in both counties. Additional parishes were added as they were formed in the region or boundaries changed. The new Newark Union took over the existing Work House. The building housing the Newark Gaol was converted to a workhouse as well.
The Newark Poor Law Union was originally divided into four Registration Sub-Districts: North Collingham, Bassingham, Bennington and Claypole.
In 1913, the Claypole workhouse building was converted into about twenty cottages. It was torn down in 1978.
Search the Nottinghamshire Archives for Poor Law records. Holdings include Guardians' minute books (1836-1930); Register of non-resident poor (1909-13); Vaccination registers (1881-1932).
1842: John WILSON, governor; Robert CAPARN, clerk. Relieving Officers: Michael PROCTOR and Thos. TILNEY.
1851: John CORBETT, governor; Robert CAPARN, clerk. Relieving Officers: John HARDY and Thomas TINLEY (note spelling variation).
1869: William NEWTON, clerk to the guardians; Edwin A. BAXTER, workhouse master; Mrs. Eleanor BAXTER, workhouse matron; Eleazor EPTON, schoolmaster, Mrs. Elizabeth BAXTER, schoolmistress; Rev. C. P. PLUMTREE, chaplain.
1899: Michael Herbert COLTON, clerk. Relieving Officers: Alfred MINKLEY and W. J. MORRIS; Edward A. BAXTER, workhouse master; Mrs. BAXTER, workhouse matron; Rev. G. AVERILL, chaplain and H. C. BURROWS, medical officer.