The Wesleyan Methodists had a small chapel here prior to 1872. A new one was built in 1895. The Methodists still have a chapel in the village. For more on these chapels and their records, check our Non-Conformist Church Records page for additional resources.
Newton on Trent is both a village and parish 10 miles south of Gainsborough and 10 miles west of Lincoln. The River Trent is the western boundary of the parish, crossed by the Dunham Bridge. Kettlethorpe parish is to the north-east and Thorney parish in Nottinghamshire to the south. The parish covers some 1,570 acres.
The village overlooks the River Trent. If you are planning a visit:
The village is bisected by both the A57 trunk road and the A1133.
If you are driving, watch for the SIGN! as recorded on Geo-graph, taken in Januray, 2008.
Marshall's Bus Service operates route X 5 between Sutton on Trent and Lincoln with stops at Newton on Trent. This route only runs on Fridays. See also our Transport page.
Dunham Bridge across the Trent River was built in 1831-2. It was a cast-iron structure with four arches resting on stone piers, each 118 feet in span.
White's 1842 Directory reports that hiring for servants was held here about a month before Mayday and Martinmas. White's 1872 Directory reports that hiring for servants was held on the Monday after the Lincoln April Fair.
The Reindeer Public House on High Street has a long history as an Inn and Public House, dating back to the 1600s. It is currently a Grade II building with British Heritage
Richard CROFT has a photograph of the White Hart Inn on Geo-graph, taken in Januray, 2012.
The White Hart Public House on High Street has been operating since the 17th century. Here are the proprietors listed in various sources:
In White's 1842 Directory, the chief landowners in the parish were the dowager lady KINLOCK and Mrs. MINSTER. The DENBY, INGILBY, NEVILL and SKELTON families also own property here.
In White's 1872 Directory, the chief landowner was Lieut.-Col. CRACROFT-AMCOTTS, member of Parliament.
In Kelly's 1900 Directory, the chief landowners are Mrs. CRACROFT-AMCOTTS of Kettlethorpe, Sir Alexander KINLOCH, baronet of Kilduff, the Reverend W. H. HUTTON, Lieut.-Col. George H. HUTTON and the Rev. Canon Charles NEVILE.
In 1737, Mrs. HALL left 5 acres and 2 rods of land at Clifton which let for £7 a year. Of that £1 and 15 shillings went to the poor of this parish and the remainder to the poor of Kettlethorpe (in 1842).