We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Norton Disney

Cemeteries

Census

  • The parish was in the Bassingham sub-district of the Newark Registration District.
  • Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 621
1861 R.G. 9 / 2477
1871 R.G. 10 / 3540
1891 R.G. 12 / 2712

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Norton Disney area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter. It contains several ancient monuments to the Disney (d'Isney) family.
  • The "Topographical Dictionary of England", 1848, tells us that the parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
  • The church seats 170.
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in September 2005.
  • Here is a photo of the Church of St. Peter taken by (and copyright of) Wendy PARKINSON.

Norton Disney parish church

  • Here is a photo of the Church of St. Peter taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):

Norton Disney St. Peter church

Church Records

  • The parish register dates from 1578, but the Bishop's transcript goes back to 1562.
  • Parish registers are on file at the Society of Genealogists, covering 1578 - 1812.
  • Marriages are in Boyd's Marriage Index, covering 1651 - 1812 and Pallot's Marriage Index, covering 1790 - 1812.
  • The LFHS has published several indexes (marriage and burial) for the Graffoe Deanery to make your search easier.
  • Methodism came to Norton Disney circa 1821. The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here, apparently in 1894. For information and assistance in researching this chapel, see our non-conformist religions page.
  • Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Bassingham sub-district of the Newark Registration District.
  • Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which started in July, 1837.

Description and Travel

Norton Disney is both a parish and a village that lies in the vale of the River Witham, seven miles north-east of Newark and eleven miles SSW of Lincoln. The two Nottinghamshire parishes of North and South Collingham lie to the west, and the Lincolnshire parishes of Swinderby and Thurlby to the north. The parish covers just over 2,300 acres of good farmland.

The small village of Norton Disney is just south and east off of the A46 trunk road between Lincoln and Newark. The River Witham passes just south of the village. If you are planning a visit:

  • Ian S. has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2012.
  • Visit our touring page for more sources.
You can see pictures of Norton Disney which are provided by:

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Norton Disney has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

History

  • The D'ISNEY family was established here by 1300, living in a moated mansion which has since fallen into ruins.
  • William DISNEY was Sheriff of Lincolnshire in 1532. His son, Ricahrd DISNEY held that office in 1556 and 1566.
  • There is a more detailed history at Rod Collins' website.
  • It appears that the parish had a single Public House with a long life. It started out in the 17th century as "The Sportsman", but changed to "St. Vincent Arms" in 1909. The name reflects the Viscount St. Vincent who was lord of the manor and principal landowner of the parish. There is a photograph at Geo-graph, taken by Richard CROFT in 2007. It has changed its name again, after 1930, to become "The Green Man".
  • Here are the names of the proprietors or victuallers from various Directories:
Year  Person
1842 John SIMPSON, vict.
1868 Henry SHELTON, shopkeeper
1872 John FISHER, vict.
1882 John ATKINSON, vict.
1913 Mrs. Elizabeth TUSTIN
1919 Mrs. Elizabeth TUSTIN
1930 Mrs. Mary Maria WRIGHT

Land and Property

  • In 1871, most of the land was owned by the Viscount St. Vincent of Godmersham Park in Kent. In 1913, he was still the principal landowner.

Manors

  • Norton Disney Hall is the manor house in the parish. It has long been the seat of the D'ISNEY (or DISNEY) family, from whom Walt DISNEY is decended.
  • In 1930, Frederick William BROWN was residing at Norton Disney Hall.

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK880590 (Lat/Lon: 53.120904, -0.686492), Norton Disney which are provided by:

Military History

  • In 1912, Major The Honorable St. Leger Henry JERVIS D.S.O. was residing in Norton Disney Hall. He had been a major in the King's Royal Rifle Corps in the Boer War.
  • RAF Norton Disney was opened in August 1939 as RAF Swinderby due to the fact that it was close to the Swinderby railway station. It was renamed RAF Station Norton Disney in 1940.
  • RAF Norton Disney was a heavily camouflaged bomb storage and supply station (93 MU). The base also stored ammunition and oxygen for aircraft.
  • There is a memorial plaque inside the church for two squadrons that flew out of this station.
  • Mustard Gas has been found in clumps buried on the site.
  • The site was closed in 1958. Most of the buildings and ammo dump sites have been demolished.
  • The site was sold off 1997.

Names, Geographical

  • The parish name derives from the Old English north+tun, which means "northern farmstead" coupled with the Norman family name de Isney. In the 1086 Domesday Book, the parish is listed simply as Nortune. In 1331, the parish is first recorded as Norton Isney.
    [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]

Names, Personal

The following surnames were found in the 1872 White's Directory of Lincolnshire under this parish:

BATTERBY, CURTIS, DIXON, FISHER, HITCH, LACEY, LYNN, MARSHALL, MARTIN, MARRIOTT, PEACOCK, ROBERTS, ROBINSON, ROGERS, SEWELL, WALKER, WELLS, and WILSON.

Politics and Government

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Bastardy cases would be heard at the Lincoln South petty session hearings.
  • Around 1758, Dr. Samuel DISNEY left the interest on £100 to provide books to the poor of Norton Disney, Swinderby and St. Margaret's parish in Lincoln.
  • After the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, the parish became part of the Newark Poor Law Union in 1837.

Population

Year  Inhabitants
1801 184
1831 210
1861 196
1871 186
1881 171
1891 181
1901 171
1911 163
1921 175
1931 165
1951 182
1971 181

Schools

  • The children of this parish attended the schools at Bassingham, Carlton-le-Moorland and Stapleford.
  • For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.