Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Peterborough Union Workhouse
- There was a workhouse here as early as 1724.
- As a result of the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, 39 parishes became part of the Peterborough Poor Law Union which was officially formed on 3rd December 1835. Crowland (Croyland) parish is the only Lincolnshire parish in the Peterborough Poor Law Union.
- The new Union Workhouse was built in 1836 on the north side of Thorpe Road in 1836. It could hold up to 200 inmantes.
- The workhouses were closed in 1930.
- The workhouse buildings were demolished in 1972.
- There are a large number of admission/discharge registers for this Union at the Northamptonshire Record Office.
- Published transcriptions are available at the Federation of Family History Societies Bookstore, which allows purchase by Credit Card.
- For more on LFHS and the Lincoln Archives have on Lincolnshire Poor Law records, see our Poorhouses page.
- For more on researching Poor Law records, see our Poor Law records list.