We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Pickworth

Cemeteries

Census

  • The parish was in the Colsterworth sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
  • In 1891, the parish was allocated to the new "Grantham South" sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
  • Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 621
1851 H.O. 107 / 2102
1861 R.G. 9 / 2311
1871 R.G. 10 / 3354
1891 R.G. 12 / 2582

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Pickworth area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Andrew.
  • The church was originally built in the 12th century.
  • The church seats about 150.
  • The church is a Grade I listed building with British Heritage.
  • There is a photograph of St. Andrew's Church on the Wendy PARKINSON web site under her "Still more Lincolnshire churches".
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Andrew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2007.
  • Here is a photo of St. Andrew's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):

St. Andrew's Church

Church Records

  • Parish registers exist from 1538 as do the Bishop's transcripts.
  • The Lincolnshire FHS has a Loan Library service which has the parish registers on microfiche for Baptisms from 1538 to 1812 and Marriages from 1538 to 1813.
  • The LFHS has published several marriage indexes for the Lafford Deanery to make your search easier.
  • The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here before 1872. For more on these chapels and their records, check our non-conformist religions page.
  • Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Colsterworth sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
  • In 1891, the parish was allocated to the new "Grantham South" sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
  • Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.

Description and Travel

Pickworth is both a village and parish six miles east of Grantham and three miles west of Folkingham. The parish itself is bounded on the north by Walcot parish, to the west and south by Lenton parish and to the east by Folkingham parish. The parish covers about 1,470 acres. In 1913, the ecclesiastical parish was merged with Walcot.

Pickworth is a small village, off the main roads. If you are planning a visit:

  • The town can be accessed off of the A15 trunk road between Bourne and Sleaford. Turn off at Foklingham and head west for about a mile, then turn north.
  • Visit our touring page for more sources.
You can see pictures of Pickworth which are provided by:

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Pickworth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Land and Property

  • In 1841, the principal landowner is the Duke of St. Albans.
  • In 1872, the principal landowners were Rhodes MITCHELL (lord of the manor), Sir G. E. WELBY-GREGORY, baronet, the Rev. Thomas HEATHCOTE, and John FOSTER.
  • In 1900, the principal landowners were Sir Charles Glynne Earle WELBY, baronet, Thomas Arthur Robert HEATHCOTE, and Mr. William TOPPS. These same folk were the principal landowners in 1913, also.

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF044337 (Lat/Lon: 52.890602, -0.449689), Pickworth which are provided by:

Military Records

Michael PECK reports: "The Pickworth (St Andrew) War Memorials have been recorded. There are 3; a WW1 memorial proper and a separate Roll of Honour for WW1 and WW2. There are no numbers, ranks or arms of service mentioned. On the WW2 roll the surname appears first."

WW1

  • In grateful remembrance of Hallam Hardy JOHNSON and George Cooper COOK. Men of this parish who died in the service of their country in the Great War.

WW1 Roll of Honour - Our Roll of Honour 1914 - 1918.

  • Charles SHARP. Victoria Cross 9th April 1915 (underlined in gold).
  • James JOHNSON
  • Basil Gordon HOUGHTON
  • Hardy JOHNSON [RIP]
  • George Cooper COOK [RIP]
  • Alfred DAVIE [Discharged]
  • Robert DAVIE
  • Tom WILSON
  • William BREWSTER
  • Harry FOSTER
  • Reginald C HOUGHTON
  • Fred JOHNSON
  • Francis Cyril HOUGHTON
  • Harold BREWSTER [Discharged]
  • George DAVIE
  • Bertie DAVIE
  • Albert JOHNSON [Discharged]
  • William WILSON
  • William RASTALL
  • Walter FOSTER
  • Frank TOPPS

Charles Richard SHARPE (Note the slight spelling change) won his V. C. on 9 May 1915 according to official records. He was a corporal in the 2nd Btn. Lincolsnhire Regiment and died in 1963 at Workington, Cumberland. Basil G. HOUGHTON, above, is believed to have emmigrated to the US in 1918. George C. COOK, above, is buried in Walcot's parish cemetery. William Hardy JOHNSON was a private in the 11 Btn. Sherwood Foresters, age 20, who died 1 Oct. 1916.

WW2 Roll of Honour - Parish of Pickworth on active service.

  • BROTHWELL Walter
  • CARTER Peter Curtis
  • CHALLIS Rupert Edward
  • FOSTER Irene Joan
  • HARRISON Richard
  • HOLLINGWORTH George Arthur
  • HOLLINGWORTH Ivy
  • KELHAM Cyril
  • JOHNSON Victor Hugh
  • SMITH William Waining
  • SAMPSON Desmond William

There appear to be no Commonwealth War Graves in Pickworth's parish churchyard.

Names, Geographical

  • The name of Pickworth comes from the Old English Pica+worth or "enclosure of a man called Pica". The name appears in the 1086 Domesday Book as Picheuuorde (remember, the "W" is a relatively recent invention).
    A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.

Names, Personal

  • White's 1841 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: BARNES, BAXTER, BLAND, CARTER, CHARLTON, ELLIS, GREEN, LOWE, LUNN, MOOR, PACEY, PAULING, RASTALL, RIMINGTON, SARGESON, SEALES, SHARP, SOLOMON, TOPPS, VINE and WORTHINGTON.
  • White's 1872 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: ANDREWS, BAXTER, BEESON, BELCHAM, BROTHWELL, CARTER, CHARLTON, CLAYPOLE, COLLISON, FOSTER, HOLLINGWORTH, HOUGHTON, MITCHELL, MOOR, NORRIS, RASTALL, RIMINGTON, SEILES, TOPPS, TOWNSEND, TYERS and WAKERLY.
  • Kelly's 1900 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: ANDREWS, BAGWORTH, BECKETT, BREWSTER, CLAYPOLE, CRAWFORD, DICKINSON, FOSTER, GIBBONS, HOLLINGWORTH, KNIGHT, MATTLESS, RASTALL, SMITH and TOPPS.
  • Kelly's 1913 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: BACKETT, BREWSTER, BURTON, CLAYPOLE, FOSTER, HOLLINGWORTH, HOUGHTON, KNIGHT, RASTALL, SHAW, SPENCER and TOPPS.

Politics and Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish was in the ancient Aveland Wapentake in the South Kesteven district and parts of Kesteven.
  • The citizens of this parish have elected to forgo a formal Parish COuncil and instead have periodic Parish Meetings of all the citizens to discuss civic and politicl issues.
  • For today's district governance, contact the South Kesteven District Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Bastardy cases were heard in the Bourne petty session hearings held on Mondays.
  • In 1622, Thomas GIBSON left a yearly dole of 13 Shillings and four pence out of the earnings of Dimsdale House in Grantham.
  • In 1704, Michael SOLOMON left a yearly dole of 20 Shillings out of the earnings of the Blue Bell public-house.
  • Various donors banked £20 so that the interest could be used to buy coal for the poor of the parish.
  • As a result of the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Grantham Poor Law Union.

Population

Year  Inhabitants
1801 156
1841 265
1851 261
1861 253
1871 240
1881 227
1891 231
1901 180
1911 185
1921 153

Schools

  • A school board of five members was formed on 9 January 1877 for the united school district of Pickworth and Walcot. The children of the parish attend school in Walcot, near the parish border.
  • For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.