Redbourne is both a village and a parish in the north of Lincolnshire, just west of the River Ancholme. The parish lies 17 miles north of the City of Lincoln and five miles southwest of Brigg. Hibaldstow parish lies to the north, Waddingham parish to the south and Kirton in Lindsey parish to the west. The parish covers just under 3,980 acres of low cars or marshes.
The village of Redbourne is about a half mile east of the old Roman road, Ermine Street, now the A15 trunk road. If you are planning a visit:
Take the A15 trunk road north out of Lincoln. Alternatively, take the B1207 south off of the M180 Motorway between Brigg and Scunthorpe.
The origin of the parish name is Old English hreod+burna, for "reedy stream". It appeared in the 1086 Domesday Book as Radburne. [A. D. MILLS, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
A Public Elementary School was built here in 1840 at the cost of the 10th Duke of St. Albans (as a National School) on Castle Hill and enlarged in 1891 to hold up to 62 children. Average attendance in 1913 was 42.