Revesby (sometimes "Revesby Abbey") is both a village and a parish in the Wold hills, seven miles south-east of Horncastle and 12 miles north of Boston. Moorby parish lies to the north, Mareham le Fen parish to the west and Carrington parish to the south-east. The parish covered about 4,970 acres in 1815 (part of this was a fen allotment in Wildmore Fen). The parish includes the hamlets of Tumby Wood (not to be confused with Tumby or Tumby Woodside), Medlam, and Moor Houses. These last two are in the West Fen area, part of the drained land, near the Newham Drain, which leads to the River Witham. They are believed to be the former dairyfarms of the old abbey.
Revesby village is skirted on the north by the A155 trunk road as it passes between Conningsby and Spilsby. If you are planning a visit:
Take the B1183 south out of Horncastle or north out of Boston. When it meets to A155, you are in the village.
Near the village is the site of an ancient encampment, though to be of pre-Danish origin. A British Chief is believed buried in the tumulus.
In 1142, William De ROMARA, Earl of Lincoln and lord of the manor at Revesby, founded an Abbey here for Cistertian monks. In 1538 it was granted to Charles BRANDON, Duke of Suffolk, and it passed from his family to the HOWARDs, Dukes of Berkshire, and from them to the BANKS family. Abbot's Lodge is all that remains of the monastic buildings.
Most of the southern part of the parish was bog-like Fen until drained between 1802 and 1813. Prior to that, this portion of the parish was sparsely populated. Population increased greatly for a few decades after the draining.
The parish used to hold a Pleasure Fair on October 24th of each year.
In 1909, a Parish Hall was erected.
Jo TURNER also has a photograph of the Red Lion Inn on the A155 on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2011.
These are the names associated with the Red Lion in various directories:
Revesby Hall was built around 1660 by Craven HOWARD, about a mile east of the village, near the site of the ancient abbey. It was later enlarged by the BANKS family. The new hall, Revesby Abbey, was built in 1849 to replace the older one.
The name derives from the Old Scandinavian Refr+by, meaning "farmstead of a man named Refr". It appeared in the 1086 Domesday Book as Resuesbi. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].
Sir Joseph BANKS, baronet, born in London, was the son of William BANKS of Revesby Abbey, who died in 1743. In 1763, Joseph made a voyage to the coasts of Newfoundland and Labrador as an explorer and scientist. In 1768, he accompanied Captain COOK on his voyage to the South Sea islands. In 1777, he was elected President of the Royal Society, and held that position until his death in 1820.
White's 1842 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: ALLETT, BENTON, BLAKEY, BONNER, BROCKLESBY, CHAPMAN, CLEMENT, COMPTON, CONEY, COVIL, CURTIS, DICKINSON, FOUNTAIN, FOWLER, GRAHAM, GRAVES, GREEN, HODGSON, HOLMES, HOULDEN, INGOLDBY, KIRTON, LAKE, MORLEY, NORTH, SCOTT, SERLS, SHERIFF, SKELTON, SOULBY, STANHOPE, STENNETT, TRAFFORD, VIETCH, WATKINS and WINTER.
White's 1872 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: ADDISON, BARKER, BELL, BETT, BLACKIE, BROCKLESBY, BROOKE, BURN, CANHAM, CHAPMAN, CHEATLE, CLARKSON, COMPTON, DONABY, EDWARDS, HOLMES, HOULDEN, JOHNSON, KING, LAKE, MORLEY, NORTH, ORGANER, OVERTON, PETT, ROBERTS, RUSSELL, SCOTT, SKELTON, SMITH, STANHOPE, STENNETT, TAYLOR, THISTLETHWAITE, TRAFFORD and WILSON.