GENUKI Home page
Riby Riby   Contents Contents

John Marius Wilson's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72

Riby

RIBY, a parish, with a village, in Caistor district, Lincoln; on the Wolds, 3 miles S S W of Stalling borough r station, and 5 W S W of Great Grimsby. Post-town, Grimsby. Acres, 2,749. Real property, £4,612. Pop., 242. Houses, 49. The property belongs to G. Tomline, Esq. R. Hall is Mr. T.'s seat. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £80. Patron, G. Tomline, Esq. The church is old and ivy-clad, and contains memorials of the Tomlines.

"She drank good ale, good punch, and wine
And lived to the age of ninety-nine"

A feast is held on the Sunday after old St Luke's, or on that day if it falls on a Sunday.

Return to top of page

Valid HTML 4.0!

[Created: 23-October-2009 - Louis R. Mills]