Roxby with Risby (or "Roxby cum Risby") is a pair of villages that make up a single parish in the north of Lincolnshire. Both villages lie west of the old Roman Road known as Ermine Street, about 9 miles WSW of Barton on Humber and just north of Scunthorpe. Branches of the Old River Ancholme flow between the villages. The parish of Appleby borders on the south and east and Winterton lies only a mile to the north. The parish covers about 4,900 acres of land and also includes the hamlets of Sawcliffe and Dragonby.
Roxby sits near the top of the Cliff Hills with a nice view of the Humber River. If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, out of Scunthorpe, take the A1077 north to reach either village.
The name Roxby is from the Old Scandinavian Hrokr+by, or "farmstead of a man named Hrokr". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village name is given as Roxebi. The name also appears in northern Yorkshire.
Risby is also Old Scandinavian in origin, hris+by or ryth+by, meaning "farmstead among the brushwood or by a clearing." The first meaning is more likely. In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village name is given as Risebi. A village with the same name is in Suffolk. ["A Dictionary of English Place-Names," A. D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1991].