The North Lincolnshire Library holds copies of the parish register for baptisms, 1563 - 1921; burials 1563 - 1865; and marriages 1563 - 1911.
The LFHS has published several marriage indexes for the Corringham Deanery to make your search easier. For a brief period in the early 1900's, the parish was in the West Lawres Deanery.
The Wesleyan Methodists used an old, small chapel here prior to 1839, but built a new chapel in 1839. The Primitive Methodists used the Wesleyans' old chapel until they built their new chapel here in 1875 and the United Methodists followed with one in 1881. There was also a Free Methodist movement in the parish with a small chapel built in 1853. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
Saxilby (sometimes "Saxelby"), not to be confused with Saxby or the Saxelby in Leicestershire, is a parish and small town about 6.5 miles north-west of Lincoln and 142 miles north of London. To the west is Kettlethorpe parish, to the north is Sturton by Stow and to the south-east lies Skellingthorpe parish. Nottinghamshire lies to the south-west. Saxilby parish covers about 4,420 acres. Included in the parish are the two small hamlets of High and Low Ingleby (or "Ingoldby") about one mile north of the main village. The parish is often refered to as "Saxilby with Ingleby".
The village of Saxilby has grown into a small town. It lies on the north bank of the Fossdyke Navigation Canal between Lincoln and Torskey on the Trent River. The River Till flows southward into the Fossdyke just east of the town. If you are planning a visit:
In 1913, guests were invited to stay at the Sun Hotel, Mr. Joseph R. JACKSON, proprietor. There was a Railway Hotel near the train station as well.
The Romans had a camp at Saxilby and a barrow still remains just outside the village.
At Drinsey Nook, in an angular projecting point of Nottingham, about a mile south of Saxilby, was a noted public-house. Near it, in 1806, Thomas OTTER, alias TEMPORAL, was hung in chains for murdering his wife in 1806, on the anniversary of the day on which he married her.
Saxilby was a railway station on the Spalding and Doncaster section of the Great Northern and Great Eastern joint railway.
The old railway swing bridge that crossed the Fossdyke Canal in Saxilby was demolished in 1937 and replaced with a footbridge some fifty years later.
A short-lived local online newsletter was the Foss Focus, published on a website near Saxilby. That site has since gone offline, but some individual may have copies of the published web pages.
The name Saxilby is of Old Scandinavian origin, Saksulfr+by, or "farmstead of a man called Saksulfr". It first appears in the 1086 Domesday Book as Saxebi. In 1115, the name is documented as Saxlabi. There is a parish of Saxelby in Leicestershire, also. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]