The Lincolnshire FHS publishes indexes of marriages and a burial index for the Manlake Deanery to make your search easier.
Susworth had its own Weleyan Methodist chapel in the 1800's. Scotter had chapels for the Wesleyan, New Connexion and Primitive Methodists. The one for the Wesleyan Methodists is still in use. For information and assistance in researching Methodist chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
Scotter is a parish due south of the conurbation of Scunthorpe and which sits nine miles northeast of Gainsborough. The parish of Messingham lies to the north, Scotton parish to the south. The parish covers about 5,400 acres and includes the hamlets of Scotterthorpe, Susworth (on the Trent River), Cotehouses (now virtually gone) and Woodhouse.
The picturesque village lies south of the the M180 motorway. The A159 trunk road cuts through the heart of the village. The small river Eau passes through the village and just north of Scotterthorpe.
The hamlets of Susworth and Cotehouses (also given as "Gotchouses") are on the River Trent west-northwest of the village of Scotter.
Ideas for a visit to Scotter:
Here's a street scene from bygone Scotter days. It is a Paddy and Yankee carrier cart:
The village had its own web site at www.this-is-scotter.co.uk, but this site was not working when last checked.
Modern day visitors to Scotter might enjoy a picnic in the wooded grounds in the southwestern part of the parish or fishing at Morton's Pond. But watch out for the hundreds of ducks that roam the village (residents of the River Eau).
The meaning of the name Scotter is uncertain, possibly from the Old English Scot+treow, for "tree of the Scots". In the 1086 Domesday Book it appeared as Scotere. Scotterthorpe apparently has a different derivation, coming from Old Scandinavian Skalli+thorp, for "hamlet of a man called Skalli". In the 1086 Domesday Book it appeared as Scaltorp. Susworth appears to mean only "southern settlement". A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.
A National School was built here in 1834 and by the 1870's was schooling about 100 children. An Infants school was added in 1877. This school closed in July, 1932. Scotter Primary School, which opened in Aug, 1932, now resides on High Street.
The Minute Books for Scotter Primary School are deposited for 1932-55 and 1955-69 at the Lincoln Archives. No admission registers were deposited.
A Public Elementary School was built is Susworth hamlet in 1904 to hold upto 52 students.
See our Schools page for more information on researching school records.