Scotton is a village and parish on the River Eau. It lies 9 miles north-east of Gainsborough and 165 miles north of London. The parish of Scotter parish lies to the north, Laughton parish and Northorpe parish to the south. Prior to the mid nineteenth century, the parish covered about 3,900 acres and included the township of East Ferry. Since then, East Ferry has become its own parish.
The village lies east of the the A159 trunk road as it passes between Scunthorpe and Gainsborough. Tributaries of the small River Eau pass the village just north and south. If you are planning a visit:
Modern day visitors to Scotton should take in Scotton Common, the first freehold nature reserve acquired by the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust in 1954.
Sir Robert NEVILLE (d.1313/14) rebuilt Scotton church and founded a chantry here in 1294.
Sir Robert PERCY of Scotton is a somewhat obscure figure, who was a staunch supporter of the Yorkist cause. Sir Robert was probably the son of Robert Percy of Scotton (alive in 1474) by Cecily Metcalfe.
Nicolas MALTUS (MALTHUS) received an inheritance here in 1730.
The BRITCLIFFE family has a long relationship with Scotton.
And some of the EMINSON family papers are at the Lincolnshire Archives at St Rumbold Street, Lincoln LN2 5AB.
Scotton had a War Memorial list which used to hang in the chapel. The chapel has since closed. A photograph of the memorial is on the Lincolnshire County web site, but the quality is not good enough to make out all the names.
The name Scotton is from the Old English Scot+tun, for "farmstead of the Scots". In the 1086 Domesday Book it appeared as Scotone. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].