GENUKI Home page
Lincolnshire Lincolnshire
county page
    Contents Contents     Parish Index Lincolnshire
Towns & Parishes
Neighbours Nearby Places

Scotton

Note: This parish should not be confused with Crown Scotton in northern Yorkshire.

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 643
1851 H.O. 107 / 2119
1861 R.G. 9 / 2406
1871 R.G. 10 / 3441
1881 R.G. 11 / 3293
1891 R.G. 12 / 2632
1901 R.G. 13 / 3109
Return to top of page

Church History

St. Genewys Church

East Ferry Church

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Scotton is a village and parish on the River Eau. It lies 9 miles northeast of Gainsborough and 165 miles north of London. The parish of Scotter parish lies to the north, Laughton parish and Northorpe parish to the south. Prior to the mid nineteenth century, the parish covered about 3,900 acres and included the township of East Ferry. Since then, East Ferry has become its own parish.

The village lies east of the the A159 trunk road as it passes between Scunthorpe and Gainsborough. Tributaries of the small river Eau pass the village just north and south. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

History

Scotton history includes some famous figures:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 242
1831 353
1851 488
1861 482
1881 403
1891 219
1911 276
1991 578
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

[Last updated: 19-January-2014 - Louis R. Mills]