Scrivelsby is both a small village and a parish in the Wold hills, 2 miles south of Horncastle. Dalderby parish and Roughton parish lie to the west, Horncastle parish to the north and Mareham on the Hill parish to the north-east. The parish covers about 2,150 acres.
Scrivelsby village is described in directories of the 1800's as a "scattered village". If you are planning a visit:
The village does not appear on many small-scale maps.
Take the A53 south out of Horncastle and turn onto the southbound B1183.
Phillip MARMION, the fifth baron of this parish, died without male issue in 1292, leaving four daughters who inherited his estates. The youngest, Joan, inherited Scrivelsby. She later married Sir Thomas LUDLOW. Their heir and daughter Margaret married sir John DYMOKE, with whose descendants the manor of Scrivelsby remained.
Henry DYMOKE performed the office of Champion of the English Crown at the coronation of George IV.
William the Conqueror gave the manor of Scrivelsby to Robert MARMION. He and his heirs were to perform the office of Champion of the English Crown, the lord or his deputy were required to appear at the coronation of every monarch and issue a personal challenge to anyone who spoke against the new king or queen.
Scrivelsby Court, the seat of the DYMOKE family since the reign of Richard II (circa 1380), stood on a hill within a 300-acre wooded park. Much of the building was destroyed in a fire in 1765.
White's 1842 Directory lists the following names in the parish: Joseph and Henry BALDWIN, Thos. BEVERLY, Richard BORMAN, John DIXON, Richd. FOX, Jas. LEE, Thomas RAWSON and Thomas TAYLOR.
White's 1872 Directory lists the following names in the parish: William ALLBONES, Henry BENTLEY, Charles Henry CHAMBERS, Henry BENNETT CHAMBERS, Henry CHESMAN, Henry Lionel DYMOKE, John DYMOKE, Rev. Samuel LODGE, Mitchell MARSHALL, John REDMORE, Willm. STEEPER, William SUTTON, John THACKER, George WRIGHT and John WRIGHT.