The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1900 to replace an earlier chapel built in 1888.
By 1909 there was a Roman Catholic church here dedicated to Holy Souls.
The Congregationists built their chapel in 1912.
The Primitive Methodists chapel was on High Street, built in 1891. And another Primitive Methodist chapel was built on Frodingham Road in 1908. For more information on records available for these chapels, please see our Nonconformist Chapels page.
Scunthorpe is a large village and a parish about 165 miles north of London and 8 miles west of Brigg parish. Broughton parish lies to the east and Messingham parish to the south. The area is flat, drained by many small canals. The parish covers only 1,028 acres. Crosby is a hamlet, formerly in Frodingham parish, which is now a part of the Scunthorpe "conurbation".
The town lies west of the New River Ancholme, which flows north toward the River Humber. If you are planning a visit:
The M180 motorway passes just south of the town and parish. The A159 trunk road north out of Gainsborough runs through the heart of Scunthorpe.
There is no mention of any military unit in WHITE's 1882 Directory or KELLY's 1896 Directory, but the George DOVE mentioned below was a civil engineer and the general manager of the Redbourne Hill Iron Co. at that time. He was born about 1849 in Walker, Northumberland.
In 1900, K Company of the 3rd Volunteer Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment, had a drill hall in Scunthorpe. Captain George DOVE, commanding; Color-Sergt. RYAN was the drill instructor.
In 1909, G Company of the 5th Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment, had a drill hall on Home Street. Captain H. I. ROBINSON, commanding; Color-Sergt. John T. ATTON was the drill instructor.
In 1913, G Company of the 5th Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment, was still here with the same officers listed.
Sub-Lieutenant Walter MAW, born 1922 in Scunthorpe, son of Valentine and Lilian MAW, was a member of the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve stationed at HMS Jackdaw (A Royal Navy Air Station on the Humber) and he died in an airplane crash in January, 1944. He is buried in Scunthorpe cemetery. He had married Muriel SANDS in 1941.
The parish was in the Manley Wapentake in the Scunthorpe district (North Lindesy district) and parts of Lindsey.
The village formed an Urban District Council in December 1894. By that time, its growth had spilled over at least two parishes.
In 1919 the Scunthorpe and Frodingham Urban District Council was established to cover the areas previously covered by the parish councils of Scunthorpe, Frodingham, Crosby, Brumby and Ashby. A Highways Committee was soon established and this was the regulatory body for bus and coach services under the powers held by local authorities prior to the 1930 Road Traffic Act.
Borough status was granted in 1936. [Charles Anderson]
"Frodingham is one of the five villages which were incorporated to form the town of Scunthorpe in 1936 and Frodingham was originally the parish in which Scunthorpe lay. The ironstone which is abundant in the area eventually led to the growth of iron and steelmaking during the 19th century."