GENUKI Home page
Lincolnshire Lincolnshire
county page
    Contents Contents     Parish Index Lincolnshire
Towns & Parishes
Neighbours Nearby Places

Scunthorpe

Note: Scunthorpe is NOT an ancient parish of Lincolnshire. It was first formed as a parish in 1889.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1871 R.G. 10 / 3433
1881 R.G. 11 / 3287
1891 R.G. 12 / 2627 - 2628
1901 R.G. 13 / 3103
Return to top of page

Church History

St. John's Church

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Scunthorpe is a large village and a parish about 165 miles north of London and 8 miles west of Brigg parish. Broughton parish lies to the east and Messingham parish to the south. The area is flat, drained by many small canals. The parish covers only 1,028 acres. Crosby is a hamlet, formerly in Frodingham parish, which is now a part of the Scunthorpe "conurbation".

The town lies west of the New River Ancholme, which flows north toward the River Humber. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Newspapers

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

The North Lincolnshire Council website tells us:

"Frodingham is one of the five villages which were incorporated to form the town of Scunthorpe in 1936 and Frodingham was originally the parish in which Scunthorpe lay. The ironstone which is abundant in the area eventually led to the growth of iron and steelmaking during the 19th century."
Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1851 303
1871 616
1881 2,048
1891 3,481
1901 6,750
1911 13,358
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

[Last updated: 24-September-2013 - Louis R. Mills]