This village and parish lie 4 miles west of Grantham on the old Bingham Road to Nottingham, and 109 miles north of London by rail. It is bordered on the south-east by Barrowby, with Muston in Leicestershire just to the west. The parish includes about 1,650 acres.
The village itself lies just north of the A52 trunk road, with the Foston Beck just to the east of town, running northerly towards its destination at the River Witham. If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the A52 trunk road off the A1 west out of Grantham.
There are traces of an ancient monastery in a field near Barrowby.
Sewstern Road is an old drove road (cattle or sheep driving) from ancient times. It is now Longmoor Lane through the villages of Sedgebrook and Allington and meets the A1 at Foston. It is likely that the drove road originally took a more westerly route.
The village was a station on the Grantham and Nottingham branch of the Great Northern Railway in the late 1800s. James WILDERSPIN was the station master in 1900. Horace EDMONDSON was the station master in 1913.
Take a look at "Sedgebrook Inhabitants of Yesteryear". This website is the work of Elizabeth Hampson.
Sedgebrook is from the Old English Secg+broc, meaning "brook where sedge grows", and is rendered as Sechebroc in the 1086 Domesday Book. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
The first school was founded here in 1718, but a separate building was not erected until 1820.
The Middle Class School (later "the Grammar School") was erected in 1882 by the THOROLD charity.
The 1911-20 letter books from Dame Margaret Thorold's Grammar School, Sedgebrook, are available at Nottinghamshire Archives, Reference: 32/12-14, NRA 16344 Newark Charity. The school was erected in 1882 and by 1913 it was a Secondary School for the surrounding area. In 1908, there were 75 boys attending.
A Public Elementary School was erected in 1875 for 70 children, but attendance was normally less than half that number.
The current elementary school is Allington with Sedgebrook CofE Primary School, Marston Lane, Allington, Grantham, NG32 2DY.
Garth Swanson of Surrey provides this: The following comes from a page published by Lincolnshire Homes and Gardens about the school which is now the Wade family home:
"In 1882 a new school, known locally as The Grammar School, was built by the Thorold Charity trustees near to the old village school together with a master's house and that building today is home to Nick and Sam Wade. In 1905 it became a secondary school for boys of the surrounding area. For many years the school employed a man of renown, G. W. Preston, as science master (the purpose-built Art and Science block still stands). Preston had previously taught science at King's School Grantham but he was dismissed without notice or payment after a disagreement with the governors. As a result of this injustice he made a fight through legal channels for school teachers' rights that resulted in a change of law establishing masters' rights to proper notice and compensation. In 1900 this hero of the teaching world became employed as Science Master at Sedgebrook Grammar School where he taught for nineteen years until the Grammar School was absorbed into King's School. Preston then transferred back to his old position where he taught for another four years until his retirement."