After the Poor Law Reform Act of 1834, the Sleaford Poor Law Union was formed on 20th September 1836 to serve the needs of 56 local parishes, all within the county of Lincoln.
The Sleaford Poor Law Union was divided into five subdistricts: Billinghay, Heckington, Sleaford, Leadenham and Aswarby. By 1891, a major redistribution of parishes left only three subdistricts: Billinghay, Sleaford and Leadenham.
The new workhouse was built in 1837-8 on a site on the north side of East Gate to the north-east of Sleaford. It was built in a foreshortened cruciform layout in Tudor style. It was designed to hold 200 paupers. Capacity was later expanded to over 250.
The buildings have all been demolished.
The Board of Guardians met on alternate Mondays at 10AM.
In 1841, the Workhouse had 102 residents.
The Lincolnshire Archives has the Sleaford Poor Law Union Guardians' minute books (1836-1930); Admissions and discharges (1896-1939); Births (1914-29); Creed register (1904-40); Offences and punishment book (1914-48); etc.
For more on LFHS and the Lincoln Archives have on Lincolnshire Poor Law records, see our Poorhouses page.