Snelland is both a village and a parish in the Wolds, 139 miles north of London, 9 miles northeast of the city of Lincoln and 5 miles south of Market Rasen. Wickenby parish lies to the north and Dunholme parish to the west. The hamlet of Swinethorpe lies in this parish. The parish covers about 1,460 acres.
The name Snelland is from the Old Scandinavian Snjallr+lundr, or "Snjallr's grove". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village is given as Sneleslunt. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].